base camp!

BURKSIE27

First time poster, long time snooper!! My dad and I are going on our first elk hunt in Colorado. U 81. First, we are Texas boys and know nothing about it. Anything we know about it is learned from this site or magazines. We are going OTC Nov-5. We have an alaknak tent and wood burning stove from cabelas. We are being very conservative on where to set up "not to far off the rd" just because of the unknown, weather ETC. So I have a couple questions for the experts.. I know you can not judge the weather but what might we be expecting? We would have gone sooner in the year but plans would not allow. Second, where can we set up?!! This has been the biggest issue.. We have called several different places and been transferred to somewhere else every time. We will be driving in on 17. I have called the Rio Grande and the San Juan National Forrest and no help. They say all camp grounds are closed, we are not hiking in camping on our first time so what now? Just pull off the side of the road? I called the San Juan about disperse camping on FR 250 or other trails in that are and no one can tell me anything. Sorry for the long post. Any information about the unit would be great and helpful! Thanks

There are plenty of spots to camp along the roads, if the weather allows you to get in there. Just pick a spot and set up camp. Unit 81 is high elevation. Even the San Luis Valley floor is over 7,500 ft. They got snow up there this weekend. Good luck!

I live just North of Unit 81, and know quite a bit of that area to one degree or another. (?) I ride our horses, and pack in camp there in the Summer, but haven't hunted there for many years. (I just hunt closer to home).
As for camping, Colorado allows "dispersed camping", which means if it isn't specifically signed that you can't camp there, you are allowed to camp most anywhere on public lands.
A lot of the access in Unit 81 comes from roads carved through valleys. So, the backcountry is very often an uphill climb, and frequently a STEEP, LONG one. So, be prepared for that. The South San Juan Wilderness also comprises a lot of 81 too, so has the usual wilderness regulations on foot travel only, (no wheels of any kind, even game carts).
The Forest Service office that administers to 81 is in LaJara. They aren't likely to get any awards for responsiveness. There's a guy named "Pete" that works there that might be the most helpful? The Recreational Supervisors often don't even return calls a lot of the time.
You're welcome to private message me, and I'll help you as much as I can. I'd be curious just what area of 81 you're planning on hunting?

A heads up on the Cabelas Alaknak.
My experience with this tent in cold weather was miserable. I have no idea what temps you will experience in CO, nor if you get cool enough in TX to test this.......
Montana zero temps and a woodstove equalled a rain forest in my Alaknak in Mt - this was about 15+ years ago, but others have had similar experiences.
Maybe the tent has gotten "better", but I sold mine toot sweet and have since always used cotton canvas tents.
Good Luck.

Onpoint, I have seen other people posting that issue.. I think since that time they have made the tent a little different and more breathable.? I did a LOT of research before I made my mind up and hopefully I didn't make a mistake. I bought the 12x12 so hopefully the stove will heat that small of a space and keep us warm.? That tent had over 200 reviews at cabelas and they were all 5 star. If I have any issues with It I will do the exact same thing as you did! thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Make sure that you have a good, small chainsaw for feeding that stove. It can be problematic finding small pick-up wood. During that time of year, I would try to find a place where the trees block the wind/snow pretty well, for a camping spot. Let the weather dictate how far off of a main road that you want to be.

I assume that you have a four-wheel-drive. Make sure to take some tire chains, as chains on the front can be a game changer when the snow gets bad in hurry.

Good luck and take warm clothes!

I've had a 12X20 Alaknak for 8 years and wouldn't change a thing. Keep your windows open unless its raining and you will be fine. The wood stove gets hot enough to drive me out of the tent, so start with a small fire.

004 small.jpg

Be prepared for snow. Leave your cotton clothing in Texas, that is a big mistake a family member made when he came up to hunt elk. I told him be prepared for snow in Oct and he thought I was kidding. 4 days in cold, wet cotton made them miserable. Look for dead trees before you set that tent, don'y want a blow down right through it.

Thanks for all the info.. I will have 4x4 and chains. I don't think we will camp too far off the road for our first Colorado trip. We are going to play it safe. I have heard about cotton and snow.. I'm hoping the snow won't be too bad also. I am excited to get the stove fired up and put the alaknak to the test! We are going to have an awesome experience, elk or no elk. Hopefully we will learn something new everyday and if God willing we will get an elk one day. That would be icing on the cake though.. Thanks men!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back