Late Season Layering Help

LandDiver

I was thinking about this late season hunt, and what I think would be sufficient. Please let me know if I'll die or if I'll make it lol.

Time: November
Temp: I'll say from the teens up to 50's
Duration: 3 days at the most. 1-3 times during that season time frame

TOP:
I was thinking 2 layers of 200-210 merino wool long sleeves. 1 with a hood and the other being a 1/4 zip. Hooded will be first layer and 1/4 zip second layer. A down or synthetic jacket for insulation (packed in pack), and then a outer coat with hood which will be waterproof and has wind block.

BOTTOM:
210 base layer. Pant that has wind block, waterproof, and hip vents. Then some gaiters.

BOOTS:
800g waterproof Cabela's Iron Ridge. Merino wool socks.

HEAD:
My beanie which I've had for over 10 years, and a neck gaiter.

HANDS:
200 merino gloves, and my old black puffy thinsulate gloves over them.

Sufficient, over kill, or missing things?

Thank you.

Everybody is different...
For me, I would take about the same as you mention for tops, but I can't wear more than a ~170g merino top when I'm moving. For me to wear more than a single layer, it has to be 15 deg or less. Now the second I stop, the 2nd layer and the puffy go on too. For bottoms, I can't wear a base layer when I'm moving no matter how cold it is. I usually just wear light pants and throw a shell over the top when I sit to glass.

But like I said, everyone is different, my dad would probably bring exactly what you mention plus a fleece that he would wear over the two base layers.

Thank you whiskeydog. I played ball through out Californin, Oregon, Washington, and Montana when we traveled. Even went to Billings and Butte to play the home teams there a lot through my college years. Cold weather in especially when your just in your football gear. But when your moving you stay warm like you said. I didn't think of it that way I guess.

Thank you, just didn't want to get out there I realize I'm not prepared for the weather. Thank you.

Keep in mind I see temps below 0 in the mountains in November here in southern Idaho

Ouch! Shucks ok I'll make sure to get a good top and bottom insulation set. Trying to find all used stuff right now. Figured I got some time before Nov. 10. Thanks elkmagnet!

I don't usually wear bottom thermals while hiking until about 20 degrees, and only put on a wind/water prof shell if I sit in snow or get cold. I get way too hot with thermals on the bottom otherwise. I always wear gaitors

For the top, I wear a light thermal, followed by a light fleece, then top it with a puffy and rain coat, add/remove as needed. If its really cold, -teens or lower, I'll bring vest and balaclava.

Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited:
With everything that's being said in this thread I am going with a super down for top and bottom to have just in case I can't handle the cold.

Landiver, from your posts and time frame it looks like you're going to be in the late archery deer hunt in 39. There are some posts on here about that hunt. If you search you can find one particular piece of information for this hunt come out time and time again. Pray for snow, and head to arrowrock. I'm glad to see someone taking up hunting, and it's this is a great place for getting information.

Landiver, from your posts and time frame it looks like you're going to be in the late archery deer hunt in 39. There are some posts on here about that hunt. If you search you can find one particular piece of information for this hunt come out time and time again. Pray for snow, and head to arrowrock. I'm glad to see someone taking up hunting, and it's this is a great place for getting information.

Yup! That's the one. Thank you choc dogs! I will search for that information now. Oddly enough we lived in Boise on 5 Mile and Victory from 06'-11' before my wife got orders to TX. Spent the next 5 years there and got orders to Mtn. Home ha ha. We still have our house in Boise. I never really thought about hunting with a bow till we were in TX, but never started up. I am motivated and very excited to get into this sport.

Thanks again choc dogs! Appreciate the info. Thank you.

I've been carrying down pants and coat sheep hunting, and put them on to glass. Even with weather for light pants, with the vents open, and a merino tee while hiking , it doesn't take long to be damn glad to have the insulation once you stop and the wind is blowing. They pack down to nothing and wear very little. Worth having.

Sitka Kelvin Pant, Kuiu Super down coat.

Mountain Hardware Kompressors would be a good pant choice too.

I ordered my stuff today, with permission from the wife of course lol!

Can't wait for it to come in.

Top I got a 210 merino hooded long sleeve, 240 synthetic long sleeve full zip, super down, and a waterproof/wind proof outer shell.

Bottom I went with a 145 merino, waterproof/wind proof pant with zippers on the hips to dump heat of needed, and a super down.

Going to Cabela's tomorrow to try on some boots even though I have one in mind that I want to get.

Here is my next question. Socks... What do you wear for a good moisture wicking sock? If you only wanted to wear one pair of socks. Also any of you spray orderless anti-perspirant on your feet?

My first elk hunt was on the cheap. I wore a light polyester base layer, a pair of non insulated camo pants. I also had a pair of military issue gortex pants and a old pair of thick polyester fleece camo pajama pants. I think if it got cold enough that that didn't have it covered I would have other problems. About the only problem I had with the cold was camping close to elk and not building a fire to dry everything out. Nothing like trying to put on your outer pants that are frozen into a ball. That and boots frozen in a curve with the toes pointing up. It's worth walking a couple miles in the morning to start off with warm dry gear. Honestly I get colder here in Georgia in a tree stand when it's 40 than I did hunting Colorado in the low teens.

LandDiver,

I like that you ask for advise from all of these smart guys. Way to learn. More impressive is that you follow through and take their advice and buy your clothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back