Spotting scope??

Just wondering what spotting scope people who can't drop 1000's of dollars on one item are running??

I just bought a pair of vortex viper 10x42, trying to decide if the spotter is needed or not......

It depends on how and where you hunt. If you spend a lot of time 'glassing' long distance you need a spotting scope , if you are in think pines you don't .

I won a redfield one in a hunting story competition a few years ago. In low light it's not amazing but aside from that it's actually pretty good.

A Nikon pro staff 5 16x48 is a good pack scope because it's lighter weight and less of a pain to keep in your pack.

This Spring, I picked one up off of Ebay for about $260. I think it retails for about $500 and it's pretty good glass for the money.

Again, depending on your type of hunting, but I say yes. Even if you are back east, you might want to scope a turkey on the other side of a field or something like that. If you are out west, I say hands down you need one. I have been on sheep hunts when if I didn't have a scope, there's no way I would have seen those sheep. Pure and simple.

Vortex as a really nice deal for around $350 or so, cheaper on sale. I think its really good for the price. If you get one, invest in a good tripod too. I use one with a pistol grip, telescoping legs. Camofire has a vanguard on sale.

I really like my Leupold gold ring 12-40x60. sometimes it would be nice to have a little more zoom when doing summer scouting from the truck, but I like the smaller size for hiking during season. It's pretty clear and Leupold always has good customer service.

I have a vortex diamondback I think it's called. 20-60x60. Works good for geese so far haha. I will be trying it on deer soon.

I currently use a Redfield Rampage 20-60x60. It certainly leave alot to be desired in low light and on high zoom. If you use it with good lighting and between 20-45 power it is pretty impressive for a $200 spotting scope. I am a huge fan of Vortex optics, if you can swing the cash for a diamondback, go that route.

A Nikon pro staff 5 16x48 is a good pack scope because it's lighter weight and less of a pain to keep in your pack.

This Spring, I picked one up off of Ebay for about $260. I think it retails for about $500 and it's pretty good glass for the money.

im have the same one i would sell for 250 i got it new and i have only used it 4 times

I like my Nikon prostaff. It's a few years old and bulkier than the models they offer now. Sportsmans Warehouse let me set up several of the sub $500 spotters and the Nikon looked best to me. The vortex were a little yellow, but everybody is wired differently. I'd recommend doing the same. For that kind of coin, any decent store ought to let you play with them before deciding.
I don't use it for elk much though. I use it more for deer, bear, and target shooting. Where and how we hunt elk, my 10x binos usually do the trick. We usually hunt OTC CO bulls, so any legal bull gets the nod, we're not picky enough to break out the scope.
I really like my buddy's Swarovski spotter, but I can't part with that much for my use.
Good luck.

Schmalts ( http://www.predatoroptics.com/ ) set me up with a Leupold tripod and Ventana scope a few years back. I don't have the dinero to drop a chunk on hunting equipment. I've spent an arm and a leg as it is...
It works great...
He is very informative, attentive to your interests and his prices are outstanding! I compared my price with other retailers and found I got the best for my buck!
A great HT contact for your optic needs.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back