Looking for black lab pup in Montana

MThorseshoer

Hey gang,

I am in the hunt for a pup. After a good amount of research and time we have narrowed the breed down to a black lab. I lost my oldest dog this summer after an amazing life. We're looking to add the new addition sometime in December/January. I primarily waterfowl hunt with a small amount of upland spattered in throughout the season. I have looked into some local breeders but we would ideally like to end up with a pup from a small breeder/lab enthusiast that may not advertise much or at all. Like everyone else we dont want to spend an arm and leg but I do understand that quality comes with a price tag. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a friend or even a kennel that may have pups around our time frame(there is some flexibility) and in our neck of the woods(Missoula but I can travel for the right dog). Advice and suggestions are always appreciated as well!

Cheers!

Best of luck in your search! You do not need to spend an arm and a leg for a decent dog you just need to spend the time. I bought my first and only dog 11 years ago from a breeder. $75 for a purebred papered black lab. The breeders dad always told his kids now who run it since their dad has passed that people should be able to afford a good dog.

His recommendations when picking a pup, now not sure if it is proven but what he told his kids and they told me to look for. Runt, black roof of their mouth, pointy knob on their head" called it the smart bump", and a mole on their chin with 3 hairs. now I do not know if that means anything when picking out a dog but the one I picked out had all of them and couldn't be happier.

My neighbors son is a veteran dog trainer for hunting and he said with labs the lighter the color the harder it is to train them and dumber the dog. like I said this is just what these people have said to me with their experience.

Good luck have fun with the new pup!

I am a small breeder, but won't have pups till first of the year. My two labs (chocolate and yellow) are my duck dogs. I can throw any color in my litter, and black is usually the predominate color. If you PM I can give you some recommendations.

In case you didn't know there are two lines of labs, English and American. English have the boxy, stout look (they are on all the calendars) and are much more laid back, easy going, but can be stubborn too. American have the longer, thinner look, are bred for drive and have a great tendency to whine. Personally, I would never own an American. And I think generally there is a move away from what has been bred for in American Labs anyway.

FWIW, there really isn't any personality differences in the colors, if you like black then go for it. My next one will be black.

Also, stay away from Silver/brindled/gray labs. These are not pure labs, there is a Weimaraner gene in there somewhere.

Post up some pics when you find one!

Just out of curiosity, is the warning away from the labs with silver/grey/brindle because of genetic impurity or because Weimaraners are hard to deal with? From a health standpoint it seems like genetic diversity could be a good thing, but if you are looking for a pure breed I can see where you would want to avoid it. The best dog I ever owned was a yellow lab. Don't know how pure she was, but boy did she have the drive to hunt.

It's about keeping a breed pure. It's more so in my book about those who are unscrupulous breeders. Within the hundred years (next years is the centennial of the AKC recognizing the breed) there hadn't been the advent of a silver gene until recently. And if you study the genetics of coloring in labs, you'll see that there really isn't a possibility within the breed unless you add something. Diversity comes from within the breed (sounds contradictory, but isn't if you source your dogs from different lines which is why AKC heritage is important.) "New breeds" have been developed by crossing others, but this isn't something to just be taken lightly. The parent club of labs, has a statement on silver labs.

Reputable breeders do what they can to improve the breed, not change it. My yellow excels in loyalty, scenting, drive, and confirmation (she's a beauty queen). But she can be stubborn. I drove six hours away to get her because I was pleased with the breeder and the parents. My chocolate has the softest mouth you will ever find, is incredibly intelligent (only needs a few repetitions before he can perform the task), very amiable and will lock on a duck until he falls over dead before he takes his eyes off it. They will produce excellent pups, IMO. I went through 8 litters from reputable breeders before I decided on him. They have had their hips certified, eyes certified, as well as their lineage. They don't have any titles, but that's only because I don't have time to run them since I', busy hunting them. That's why their pups will only be $1000 instead of $2000. Which sounds like a lot, but if you figure it takes about $500 to get a puppy to 8 weeks with proper shots and inspection and health garuntee, there's really not any money in it. I do it because I love my dogs, and the breed and would like for others to have a quality duck dog.

Thanks for the responses folks!

I am looking for a black lab strictly for selfish reasons. I know many amazing yellow and chocolate labs. I agree with you 406LIFE on the other colors. Ideally we'll end up with an english lab but Ill look at American labs as well. English vs American isn't as important as how we click with the puppy.

I think the 75 dollars for a quality pup days may have passed but it is nice to know there are people out there in it for the dogs and not the dollars.

I PM'd you 406LIFE.

I read Jamens description of black lab pup. My English lab was the runt, he has the black roof in his mouth, has the bump on his head and the three whiskers in his face. He is the best dog I have ever had and the smartest and most loving We paid $1500 for him 6 years ago and worth every penny. He was house trained in 2 days.and took naturally to retrieving and flushing pheasants .Best hunting dog we have had and are blessed to have him.He has a great nose also. John

If I may recommend that you don't buy a pup, but look for a breeder who's into field trails. I bought a 8 month old female with all the training, whistle, hand command and ready to hunt! Yes I paid for that, but when the breeder auditions the dog you know exactly what you're getting. image.jpg good luck to you!

My neighbors son is a veteran dog trainer for hunting and he said with labs the lighter the color the harder it is to train them and dumber the dog. like I said this is just what these people have said to me with their experience

Is this a joke? If not your neighbors son must be albino? Google jazztime labs from Charlo Montana. They have great stud dogs for hunting and the family. They only breed to females who have all their clearances. A couple years ago I suggested that to a guy on here and he loves his pup. Mine was $1000 then probably a little more now . Very cheap for hopefully a 14 year investment. Good luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back