When to walk and when to sit??

I think it depends largely on conditions and hunting pressure, but I have had luck in dark timber still hunting for elk IF the footing is quiet and the wind predictable. Better yet if there is tracking snow. Also, I'm hunting for "any legal elk" not a trophy bull. Everything has to be right to get the drop on the bull before he senses you, but when it works, it works. I think when time is your enemy, sometime you have to go in after 'em.

I go in even when I have all the time in the world Ben. I just love that type of hunting. Trying to beat the elk when all his senses are working 100%. Very rewarding.

Given the fact that you'd be hunting a general tag with a rifle, I would think that covering some ground and getting in some dark stuff away from people would be good. I'm NO expert at all, but I kinda know where you are going. Depending on the unit you'll be in, timber will be your primary choice.

Wow it's impressive how much you guys know from that simple pic. There is indeed what appears to be good bedding and sparse timber to the upper left in the pic. It does make sense that in the morning you may just blow them out of the park. So hunt travel first light and feed in the afternoon possibly.

That pic of that bull JLS made my hat lift off my head haha. I appreciate to hiding your face in the pic so I can pretend it's me under that pile of antler.

I'm sure it's been said, but I'll say it again. When you see fresh sign, slow down. I have slowed way down, and feel like I see far more game than I ever have before. I have had elk close enough to touch, and they never knew I was there. The thing about elk though, is it all depends on what kind of elk country you're in as to how much country you cover, before you encounter the fresh sign. I enjoy my days in the woods more, I think, when I kind of stop to smell the roses. I guess it's probably an "Old Guy Thing".

Smell the roses? Hell, I want to smell the elk. :)

That's one thing that makes still hunting for elk much easier than muley's. If you're playing the wind as you should. You'll smell the elk long before you see them. That's ok though, because if you don't play the wind right the elk will smell you before it see's you too. Seems fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScatterGunHamilton
Back