Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MSR Whisperlite Stoves; Think they're any good?

windymtnman

I bought a MSR Whisperlite gas stove 3 years ago. As you may know, they're fairly pricey at around $90 bucks. On the plus side, I'm satisfied with the BTU output, as it cranks out some serious heat. That is, when it's working.
When you light these stoves up, the cup fills with gas, so when you light it, you have about 2' of yellow flame blowing around till it burns off. Of course, the gas drips too, so anything under it is probably going to set fire too. (not good!)
Last May I packed into the backcountry and when getting the stove out, it wouldn't work. I found out the spring loaded poppet in the pump was stuck, and needed to be disassembled to fix.
Now, last week, the stove again wouldn't fire up. This time, it was a clogged jet orifice. I had a finely sharpened paper clip, but even this wouldn't fix the clog with the limited resources I had in the backcountry. I took that stove apart about 10 X in my efforts to be able to use it. Not good when you're needing a stove and trying to disassemble stuff with the wrong tools, no familiarity with the stove parts, and poor light.
I sent the stove in to MSR for repairs, but I have a feeling the bill will have me about 1/2 way to a new stove.
Not liking this stove much.

Been using the same Optimus 8R since 1985. Never fails to light. Uses diesel and/or gas. The little tank last me over a week boiling water for 1 hot meal/day.

Just had it out for a 6 day solo elk hunt and it's going on another 6 day hunt in 3 days.

I sent the stove in to MSR for repairs, but I have a feeling the bill will have me about 1/2 way to a new stove.
More than likely there will be no charge. Cascade Designs has very good CS. I used a Whisperlite a lot back in my early backpacking days and while a little more involved to get going, I always found it to be reliable, especially in cold weather. Not to mention white gas is much cheaper than isobutane canisters. Downside for me beyond the fiddle factor is weight.

I have one. Used it twice lst year. It does indeed tend to light the ground on fire if you feed too much fuel before ligfhting. I had that happen first time. Otherwise it work fine. Bulky tho. Doesn't pack up very small

I own several models; Whisperlite, Dragonfly, XKG. The Dragonfly and XKG don't clog up like the Whisperlite, but they are as loud as a blowtorch. If you are travelling by air to a place where isobutene canisters would be hard or impossible to find, these stoves are a must.

I grew up with my parents using Whisperlites and I had one myself for 10 years, first time a buddy brought out a MSR pocket rocket on a backpacking trip I tossed my Whisperlite and have never looked back. The are a pain in the ass, heavy, load, and don't work well in adverse weather. Meanwhile the pocket rocket with a small canister can last you a week boiling water for mountain house meals, works on the top of mountains in high wind, never fails to light, and is about 1/4 the size and weight. Also if you do the math you would have to use a Whisperlite for a decade to have it be more economical. A whisperlite is $90 a pocket rocket is $40 the canisters are $5 so you can get 10 canisters for the initial price of the Whisperlite. It will take you years to burn through 10 canisters. Dealing with canisters on planes is a pain in the butt... but you can always ship them ahead of time, along with your matches, lighters, bearspray, ect.

That is one heck of a bummer experience, Windymtman...

I had the regular whisperlite for ages then they came out with the International version and for the multi fuel ability, I "upgraded". That was many years ago and here I am, with the Internatioinal version (still using the same fuel as the original) and find this stove is my mainstay for backpack adventures. There are many great stoves out there. The JetBoil has really grabbed many though I simply love having a stove that also permits my "boy-scout" fire starting juice to get the fire going...

The long story condensed, the MSR Whisperlite is made IN AMERICA, Seattle. I am a long time patron of this product. Don't fix what works and works well it does.

I highly doubt they will charge you and it is a real bummer you got one that has really crapped out on you. Best to you.

I too upgraded to the multi-fuel from the original (though I've yet to actually use anything but white gas in it). I briefly switched to a canister stove system but got sick and tired of having a dozen mostly empty canisters laying around. I have never had mine fail in the last 15 years and I've never replaced a thing on it, it gets used on 3-6 trips a year. The only thing I can't stand is the noise, whisper-it-is-not.

I've used Whisperlights for 20+ years. God knows how many meals. Hundreds for sure. They are light and they put out BTUs. That's the plus. The downside IMO is that they are not really adjustable. They require some practice, cleaning and maintenance. I have burned some tabletops. They can be dirty. I only recall one out-and-out failure in the field and that was winter camping around 10-20 below. At that temperature, the impurities in the fuel just wouldn't burn. I may be due for an upgrade but am too cheap.

I use the $20 coleman version which stores in a stainless Stanley cup. Wrap some papertowels around it and it fits perfect. I have never had it not work. Used it in 35 degree 9,200 foot elevation with a light snow falling this weekend.

Isobutane is so convient that if available it is the way to go imo.

Wind is the one downfall. I usually boil tucked into a cliff face or some sort of wind break.

Cheap, light and dependable.

I also own a pocket rocket and use it when canisters are available and I don't plan on being in the wind and cold. You can't do this with a pocket rocket.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 031.jpg
    NZ 2011 031.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 407
I now use my canister stove, but I just go for short backpacks below treeline.

Where whisperlights come into their own is when you are melting lots of snow for water and you are above treeline, Maybe way above treeline. And especially out in the boonies, like China or Burma. Places with no canisters for sale and your gas comes from a gas pump.

There is a repair packet they sell with all the O rings and other parts one might need. The cleaning needle is handy. I bring the parts with me everywhere, takes up no room.

No charge for repairs? Let's hope so, but the rep on the phone said it was $25+ for a stove repair, and if they do anything to the pump, to add another $10, plus shipping. He said they'd call me to verify the repairs, and probably get my credit card number then.

No charge for repairs? Let's hope so, but the rep on the phone said it was $25+ for a stove repair, and if they do anything to the pump, to add another $10, plus shipping. He said they'd call me to verify the repairs, and probably get my credit card number then.
I had Thermarest NeoAir XLite with a hole that I couldn't locate. Sent it back to Cascade Designs, fully intending to pay any repair costs and the sent me a brand new (upgraded) model for no charge. YMMV.

When you light these stoves up, the cup fills with gas, so when you light it, you have about 2' of yellow flame blowing around till it burns off. Of course, the gas drips too, so anything under it is probably going to set fire too. (not good!)

I only turn it on for an instant and then turn it off and light the gas that dripped out. Let it burn until it goes out or almost out then turn on the gas and re-light. The initial burn should be enough to heat it up to vaporize the gas.

If it's clogged just turn it upside down and shake it/bump it. Often that's enough to clear the clog.

Another option for lighting is to carry a little squeeze bottle of rubbing alcohol. I use that to fill the cup and light that to preheat, then turn on the whitegas. I've used a whisperlite for 10+ years with no issue. The key to keeping them unclogged is 1. don't leave whitegas in the bottles during long term storage, it will clog up the jets (does the same to coleman stoves and lanterns). 2. Use the shaker jet, a couple of shakes always seems to keep mine running smoothly. I still use a JetBoil as my primary for most of the season, but come late season, or large group trips, the Whisperlite gets the call.

Liquid gas stoves can be temperamental for sure. It seems like a lot has to do with fuel quality and keeping it clean, having a spare parts/cleaning kit is must. Depending on the length of my trip and partners, I usually bring my XGK (personal fav) and a jetboil. A big pot goes on the XGK and everyone can use it for cooking and the jetboil is for drinks or freeze dried meals for those whose GI tracts can handle them. Hopefully MSR can figure out your stove, whisperlites are proven performers, most of the time.

I grew up with my parents using Whisperlites and I had one myself for 10 years, first time a buddy brought out a MSR pocket rocket on a backpacking trip I tossed my Whisperlite and have never looked back. The are a pain in the ass, heavy, load, and don't work well in adverse weather. Meanwhile the pocket rocket with a small canister can last you a week boiling water for mountain house meals, works on the top of mountains in high wind, never fails to light, and is about 1/4 the size and weight. Also if you do the math you would have to use a Whisperlite for a decade to have it be more economical. A whisperlite is $90 a pocket rocket is $40 the canisters are $5 so you can get 10 canisters for the initial price of the Whisperlite. It will take you years to burn through 10 canisters. Dealing with canisters on planes is a pain in the butt... but you can always ship them ahead of time, along with your matches, lighters, bearspray, ect.

This was almost my experience exactly. The Whisperlight is fine, has its uses still but is largely antiquated compared to an MSR pocketrocket or similar.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back