Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What is the best leather water proofing

Bear grease. Works great. Got it at saddle/leather shop in Saratoga, WY.

Gore tex..:D:D
I've never had gortex work for very long given hard use. My current Gortex Lowas don't reject water unless I treat the leather.

I've used nickwax and sno-seal. They work well for a while, but it seems like if I get the boots dusty the waterproofing material gets sucked out and they soak up water again. Does Obenauf keep working when the boots get dusty?

I used Kenetrek & Danner boot dressing mostly
Have some Obenaufs & Snoseal. For pacs.
Need to treat the year old Lowa Tibets now and going to see what they recommend.

I had used Nikwax on the old Meindels that got stiff,but it does not last long at all and boots dry out in my exp.

Obenaufs is equal to Kennetrek's shoe products.
Always get your boots warmed up set beside a woodstove if possible and you can use a hand held hair blower/dryer to work the sealer into the leather.
Use to use snoseal for years but have found Obenaufs a better product.

I read on some blog about using a toilet wax ring. No joke. Get a new one (of course), heat up your boots, rub it in. Sounds like it would work. I bought a new pair of Lacrosse boots I'm thinking of trying it on. Thoughts?

Emrah

I read on some blog about using a toilet wax ring. No joke. Get a new one (of course), heat up your boots, rub it in. Sounds like it would work. I bought a new pair of Lacrosse boots I'm thinking of trying it on. Thoughts?

Emrah

I think you'd be better off using beeswax. I have used that on my chaps and it does a wonderful job.

I did a scientific test where I would treat one boot with one product, the other boot with the other. Then I would walk around in the rain. Then I would weigh each sock and see which collected more water. Trouble was I would never remember which boot I treated with which product. So I finally settled on Obenaufs.

Bear grease was made in Finland now made in NH. It keeps the leather soft and pliable but also waterproof. No scent to it, remember that other stuff may leave a scent trail when you walk.

I have used snoseal for years and years and now the Kenetrek stuff too both of which work great. Just a creature of habit mostly. The Obenaufs and Bear grease sound interesting i will have to keep them in mind.

Bear grease was made in Finland now made in NH. It keeps the leather soft and pliable but also waterproof. No scent to it, remember that other stuff may leave a scent trail when you walk.

Leave a scent trail? You got to be kidding me. Elk ain't tracking me. mtmuley

No but they sure can smell where you been and spook on the way in to your calls.

Back