Boots

Eyeguy

Just returned from a high country WYO archery elk hunt. Got dang close a couple times and had a miss at 35 yards thanks to a branch defection. We were greeted with 5" of new snow the 2nd day of the hunt....The weather was dang cold for september....thankful to be able to layer with my Sitka system. I was very warm, dry and comfortable....save one thing. My feet. I had a new pair of Danner Pronghorns that are new this year, just worn for break in hiking. Very comfortable. Problem is...they LEAK. I had COLD WET FEET FOR 5 STRAIGHT DAYS. The last 2 pair of Danners I bought are not to my standards....so time to move on. I don't want to mess with customer service...press 1 for english, 4 if you are pissed about your boots so we can disconnect your call. I want a GOOD PAIR. I hate to say money is not an option....but your feet are the most important to keep dry and comfortable on a backcountry hunt. What should I be looking at? Kenetrek? Meindl? Crispi? Cabelas? Others? Talked to a couple guys last week that had some negative about Kenetrek...which was a surprise to me. Figured they were bulletproof for the money you spend on them. My overall impression of the boots industry in general....is they "sure don't make em like they used to"..... I have had great luck with danners in the past but shit I may as well have been wearing socks and sandals like a dweeb as wet as my feet were. Sorry if I sound negative but that sure ticks a guy off when you look forward to a hunt for so long, get a little weather, and your boots don't hold up their end of the bargain. Open to any and all suggestions. Yes they were supposed to be "waterproof" and yes they were "gore-tex" material. They leak both sides where the leather meets the sole.
Steve

Last edited:
So far really love my Zamberlans, but don't have personal experience with others (Kenetrek, Meindl, Crispi, etc.) to offer comparison. They have proven waterproof in circumstances I have seen. Dry in snow. No fording of streams, etc. to really test though.

All boots will leak eventually...I don't think goretex is as good as it used to be. That being said Danner is definitely not the boot it used to be and I've thrown away new Danner's after 3 months of use.

I wear Meindl Denali (for Cabelas) and like them. I think they revamped the boot recently. I had the soles rebuilt last month and they are good boots but will leak after a day or two of wet snow/rain. Kenetrek are a solid boot but a lot of complaints come to the heel box and major rubbing, Crispi are good boots. Cabela's doesn't make boots but the ones made by meindl tend to be good. Lowa, Hanawag, and Zamberland are all good boots too. Schnee's makes a good mountain boot too but I'm not familiar with it.

One option is to go to Lathrop & Sons online and do their boot fitting. They'll recommend a boot and insole combo but it does cost money upfront. That money gets put toward a boot purchase though. They have a Lowa Tibet that gets good reviews however they do not come in wide so I can't wear them.

I prefer a boot with a full rand around them to protect from sharp rocks.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Keep it coming. I have a lot to think about before oct 15 but need to act quickly so I can get some here and broke in before then.

I've had great customer service from Danner/Lacrosse.

I have Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI and like them. I haven't put the miles on them as most folks put on boots, though. The Kenetrek's have proven to be waterproof.

So far really love my Zamberlans, but don't have personal experience with others (Kenetrek, Meindl, Crispi, etc.) to offer comparison. They have proven waterproof in circumstances I have seen. Dry in snow. No fording of streams, etc. to really test though.

I had also looked at these and should have been mentioned above. Thanks!!! Glad you like yours.

I wear Alaska Hunters from Cabelas. Four wheel drive for your feet. I have had 3 pairs, never leaked.

I like the Cabelas/Meindl perfekt hunter for cold weather and the perfekt hiker for warm weather..neither have ever leaked !

Meindl Perfekt here. Going on 9 years of pretty hard use and no construction problems or leaks. I've stood in a creek for hours while fly fishing for brookies on high mountain creeks. No leaks.

Schnees elk hunter II is the most versitile boot I have found. From hot September archery straight thru waist deep November snow - these boots protect your feet. They will not blister your feet.

I just returned from 3 days goat hunting and my two partners were blistered from the brutal verticle climbs. They could barely walk on the pack out. My feet felt great. Like wearing slippers all day but the traction, ankle support and waterproofness are unmatched.

Seems odd lacing up a pack boot to hunt in September but these boots do it all. The only negative is the weight. I have Zamberlains, kenetrecks and Danners. Schnees pack boot is my goto.

I have used Danner Pronghorns in the past and they are a pretty good boot...That being said I made the jump this year and bought the Denali boot (cabelas) and love them. They are stiffer but I need the support.

A kid at work talked up his Red Wings for a while. A couple weeks later he didn't have anything good to say about them. He said they leaked bad. He called the company and bitched about them. I let him go on for a week or so and straightened him out. His pants got wet and wicked down his socks. I told him to get a pair of gators to solve his problem.
I have Meindl's for all my hunting

I'm of the opinion (as already stated by some) that Danners nor Goretex are as good as they used to be. I have a pair of Cabelas/Meindl Perfekt, comfortable boot, but mine do leak. I've had good luck with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and my new favorites - Lowa Tibet. If you have the chance it's definitely worth trying them on, in boots what's great for me may not be a good fit for you.

I think any of the top shelf brands will work, you just need to match your foot to the boot cut. My feet like Lowa and Asolo. I have some kenetrek for cold weather, I just need to be mindful of my lacing due to the heel box (it's large).

I'm of the opinion (as already stated by some) that Danners nor Goretex are as good as they used to be. I have a pair of Cabelas/Meindl Perfekt, comfortable boot, but mine do leak. I've had good luck with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and my new favorites - Lowa Tibet. If you have the chance it's definitely worth trying them on, in boots what's great for me may not be a good fit for you.

First time i've heard of that boot leaking. I guess nothing is Perfekt.

I would think Cabelas would replace it.

Kenetrek's are my preference! Any high end boot will take 20-50 miles to get them broke in. I also recommend and sock liner/ sock combination !

That's unfortunate to hear about your Pronghorns. I recently bought a pair of Danner High Grounds that I will be using for the first time on an upcoming elk hunt this October. If they fail as yours did, I will likely look into the Kenetrek's (Hopefully won't have to).

Kenetrek, Meindl, Crispi, Zanderlan
There are 2 kinds of Meindl one that is made for Cabelas(which I wouldn't touch) and there is the true Meindl that Hoffman boot carries for less than Cabela's.
Stay away from Danner, Red Wing and such they are made for the average guy who hunts a little on flat to rolling hill type country. I have 2 pairs of Kennetrek one in the hunter mid winter weight and the desert hiker which is unreal tread. you want boots with a good instep and stiff heels. Which neighter Danner or Red Wing has anymore. Good luck on your choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back