New P&Y Record bull out of Montana

Came out of the elk woods, to a text about this.. outstanding bull! And one very fortunate hunter. I knew HT would know more about it. Can't wait to hear the full story. It's good to see some Montana boys getting it done.

Why do they call it a world record? It's kind of the same as your baseball world series, I've never understood how something that's limited to one country is called a "world record".

FYI for the argument of this topic, back in the early to mid 1900s some absolute giant wapiti were shot in nz, which is a herd that originated in the states. To be talking world record you'd have to take those into account I would have thought.

Nice bull anyway!

Why do they call it a world record? It's kind of the same as your baseball world series, I've never understood how something that's limited to one country is called a "world record".

FYI for the argument of this topic, back in the early to mid 1900s some absolute giant wapiti were shot in nz, which is a herd that originated in the states. To be talking world record you'd have to take those into account I would have thought.

Nice bull anyway!

I don't know about the B&C and P&Y standards but I *think* it has to be an indig animal. While NZ is fair chase, elk aren't indig there. Nor are Red Deer and half the other species they have. To me, personally, if something is out of place, it shouldn't count. If Colorado had the World Record Cheat Grass, or carp, or whatever, I wouldn't brag about it, nor would I contest it with the country from which it originated. They can have it. Just because it grows bigger as a human-introduced, invasive that out-competes the indig plants or animals doesn't mean it rates in a record book that has ethical underpinnings. I don't think Rowland-Ward even counted cheaters.

Dumping elk in NZ would be like dumping pigs in the South-East U.S.: They will get huge!

I think the Safari Club International may count them, I'm not sure.

As to the "World" Record, well, it's still in the World. Like the Denver Broncos were the World Champions, even if . . .

Last edited:
I don't know about the B&C and P&Y standards but I *think* it has to be an indig animal. While NZ is fair chase, elk aren't indig there. Nor are Red Deer and half the other species they have. To me, personally, if something is out of place, it shouldn't count. If Colorado had the World Record Cheat Grass, or carp, or whatever, I wouldn't brag about it, nor would I contest it with the country from which it originated. They can have it. Just because it grows bigger as a human-introduced, invasive that out-competes the indig plants or animals doesn't mean it rates in a record book that has ethical underpinnings. I don't think Rowland-Ward even counted cheaters.

Dumping elk in NZ would be like dumping pigs in the South-East U.S.: They will get huge!

I think the Safari Club International may count them, I'm not sure.

As to the "World" Record, well, it's still in the World. Like the Denver Broncos were the World Champions, even if . . .

If that's the case it's more an American record than a world record in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I really don't care for score at all I just find it an interesting topic.

And just to clear it up. NZ free range reds aren't that great, they used to be years ago but the massive things you see with points and mass going everywhere are all (emphasis on all) high fenced pen raised animals, people that go over and hunt them just seem to omit that fact!

If that's the case it's more an American record than a world record in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I really don't care for score at all I just find it an interesting topic.

And just to clear it up. NZ free range reds aren't that great, they used to be years ago but the massive things you see with points and mass going everywhere are all (emphasis on all) high fenced pen raised animals, people that go over and hunt them just seem to omit that fact!

Personally, I wouldn't consider it any record, if it's not fair chase and on it's own turf.

Sorry to hear about the high fence. I always thought about the South Island as being like the Lord of the Rings with GIANT Red Deer running wild and fair chase. My naivety aside, if I had my druthers, I'd hunt Red Deer in Europe and those Giant Birds in NZ, with a bow. Stealing their eggs is one thing, but I bet facing an adult in thick under-story would be interesting.

Heard a rumor today that the hunter is from the Root. But, you know how rumors go. mtmuley

It is legit. It has been green scored by the measurer with the tightest tape in MT. When people hear the story I think they will be very happy for the hunter.

A friend of my dads held these antlers and talked to the guy. You're right, once the story comes out people will be very happy for this fella. I was asked to not tell the story, so I won't.

Anything about the actual score after the 60 day time frame from it's original green score? Following Randy's post to wait for the actual story... I am very interested to read.

News?

Anything about the actual score after the 60 day time frame from it's original green score? Following Randy's post to wait for the actual story... I am very interested to read.

News?

As entered in B&C.

B&C.jpg

It is legit. It has been green scored by the measurer with the tightest tape in MT. When people hear the story I think they will be very happy for the hunter.

The story and of course the actual score though the story is the focal interest. :)

P&Y still shows the 2005 AZ record as #1. When does it record with P&Y?

What an awesome bull. I think they'd have to do a panel measurement on it, being it's such a high scoring bull. Looks pretty typical, and doesn't seem likely anything would change at all. Big congrats to the hunter. All those days of parking in the ditch paid off well!

Simply meaning that the hunter could have sold the story to one of the big money magazines, but rather give the biggest elk story in the last five years to a conservation org magazine.

It's all hearsay anyway
Thanks. I haven't been following closely. Want to see the article.

That is truly an amazing bull! I am sure the license sales will go up in Montana as this gets more press!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back