Yeti GOBOX Collection

Simmons Land Sharks

MThuntr

I see a lot of traditional archers shooting these but not a lot of recent talk by compound shooters. Anyone here use them?

Not that I need new broadheads in the middle of the season just looking for more options as I think I'm going to go to a 125 grain setup after this season so why not do a touch of investigating.

I would love to hear some opinions from anyone who has used these as well. The construction and design seem really solid.

I spent some time last night doing research. The reviews are generally good (mostly archerytalk stickbow guys) but they all say the broadheads need to be sharpened before use. While researching I found the QAD Exodus (which is what I was thinking of switching to before I saw the Simmons stuff) might be a better option for creating a wound channel but I think the Simmons broadhead performed better when confronted with bone mass. I might have to bite the bullet and order both to see which I like.

I know a guy here in montana that uses them in his compound and seems to love them! I am not sure how long he has been shooting them but I know the last two years at least he has shot all his archery animals with them.

Their facebook shows Branden van Dyken (Be the Decoy) using them with obvious success. I'm pretty sure he posts on here sometimes. I'm hoping to hear from him since it looks like he filled 2 tags with them this year already

Trad guys love them, especially since they come in really heavy weights (like 190gr for some models). It's also common in the trad world that many broadheads are sold "sharp" but need final sharpening and honing to get them razor sharp.

Emrah

I shot a similar designed broadhead several years ago, The Patriot, in my 50 lb recurve.It penetrated the rib and lodged in the opposite shoulder blade of a young Shiras Bull moose. They were 125 gr broadheads with a small profile, size, compared to a zwikkey. They all need to be touched up from the package. Mainly get the burr off of the edge and they will be shaving sharp. The Land shark looks similar in design and I think would be very durable and hold up well in large game. They will slice a large wound channel.

A guy on the BowSite, known as TBM (turkey bow master), used them and swore by them. For other reasons, he was banned from the site.

Sharpening is becoming a lost art and many are afraid to have to sharpen a knife or broadhead. However, once you learn how, it can be fast and fun! Besides that, they are big heads and if you're not competent with bow tuning, arrow flight may be an issue.

Thanks for your information Curvebow. I appreciate the help and it helped me decide that maybe I'll probably stick with the standard muzzy or go to the higher quality QAD Exodus

I could not get them to pattern at all in my compound. I tried different arrows, balancing, etc. so I just put them aside. I know the guy who makes them here in the Bitterroot and he would gladly take your call if you had any questions. I ended up going with Stingers and they pattern great and have a lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back