How do you choose?

I'm in the same boat. There are not many places around here to try on a pack. Your height should help narrow them down. When you really get serious about buying one I would have my torso length if I called manufacturers or dealers. It really seems like most backpacking gear is built around someone 5'9" and 150 lbs. You will probably want to pay attention to lengths of sleeping bags and tents also. Of all the seemingly overpriced backpacking gear out there your pack, tent, and sleep system are about the easiest places to save weight. That said if your pack is hunting your body and you are cold or wet a couple extra pounds would be worth staying warm dry and comfy.

If you want a truly top of the line pack, and you don't mind spending over $1k to get it, you may want to check out McHale packs. They are all custom made, and are the best heavy load packs in existence.

I saw someone post something about those over on Rokslide. I could not justify spending that much at this point. I got my shipping confirmation from Kifaru yesterday. My 26" frame and Tahr should be in my hands on Wednesday of next week. It was a tough choice between that and the Stone Glacier. I need to convince my brother to get the SG so I can try that one too :) I held off on the pockets for it for now other than a bottle holder and small pouch for the belt. I am waiting on those until I get the majority of my gear in it and see what kind of room I need for misc. items (first aid, kill kit, etc.). I figure a minimum of 2 mediums and a spotter pocket. I'll post some pics when I get everything loaded up

I don't think you can go wrong with MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier or ExoMountain gear. I think ultimately it comes down to fit as the #1 key. They all have advantages and disadvantages on minor details, but are worlds ahead of ALPS, Badlands or Eberlestock or external pack frames. I run a Metcalf and am really happy with it and my hunting partner runs an Exo3500 and they are on a similar level. The MR has been great for me because I can run their large torso with an x-small waist band to get a pack that actually fits well. MR was easy to deal with in when I needed to swap out my small waistband to get the fit better under load.

I don't think its a situation where you will every be 100% on one pack every trip because they do cater to slightly different things. While I love my Metcalf I'm always looking for a slightly different pack for day hunts especially the longer I spend not in the field with the pack splitting the theoretical differences. In the field fit and not having a pack that might fail 5 miles from the trailhead underload is all I really care about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back