22 or shotgun for squirrels

Use the same .22 my pops gave me as a kid, and remembering how much fun I had as a kid and still have hunting those critters makes me excited for my little one to grow up and have those experiences.

I've got an old Remington Model 41 single shot .22 that my Grandad gave me. Just seems right to use it.

I use a 20 gauge mostly. Last year I've tried with my bow and those G5 small game heads,( which is a lot of fun, by the way)with some success,but it takes away from deer hunting. As for the shotgun, I was taught to " just try to chip the nose off" when it comes to aiming, resulting in minimal meat loss.

I use my 10/22 when I'm on larger tracts of public land out of the city but I'm only able to do that on weekends and days off. Last fall I decided I'd really like to squirrel/bunny hunt during the week after work but was concerned about using the rifle on those small public land tracts near my house. I picked up a Benjamin .22 break barrel air rifle. I was concerned about efficacy at first but that thing is deadly, cheap to shoot and if you do make a shot in the shoulder it doesn't destroy the meat like my 10/22 does. I still use the rifle when I'm able but the Benjamin is a nice supplement.

Stacey

.17 Hornet. Center fire so I can reload. Headshots save meat and don't mess up the tanning. But I'll also use a .22 revolver or shotgun if that's what I have on hand.

22LR for sure. Those suckers have tough hide and I have had issues with pellets not penetrating. I think a 17HMR would be good too for headshots

The .17 Mach 2 is also a great round for small game. IF you can find any ammo, they only make special runs of it, and it's more expensive than .17HMR or .22 Magnum. It SHOULD have been more popular, but Hornady screwed up when they introduced the two .17's at the same time. They should have introduced the .17 mach 2 first.

Back