Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

22 or shotgun for squirrels

Most of the areas around me are shotgun only. No single projectiles. If you use 7 or 8 shot, I've never really had a problem with too much meat destruction. Though I agree, a .22 to the head is sniper like.

But I'm serious about using archery tackle. It's a kick in the pants! You want to talk about learning how to sneak up and stalk an animal? It's a hoot! Last two years, I've been squirrel hunting archery only because there is an archery only wildlife refuge five minutes from my work. I get hunting time in the morning and most lunch hours too. It's an absolute blast.

Emrah

.22 because it trains you to shoot. That's how kids should learn to hunt tree rats.

I start the season here in Michigan usually with my 410 then when leaves drop I switch to my .22.

.22 for me as well. I used to use an old Remington bolt action that had incredibly fine iron sights on it. It is a tack driver if ever there was one and helped me fill many limits.

Savage Model 24 (if you can get your hands on it) or Model 42. The Model 24 is one of the coolest classics I've ever laid eyes on and Savage now makes the 42, newer version of the 24. You can have what option you want but I love the .22lr/.410 combo for the gun and use it for squirrel and rabbit hunting. If you can get a head shot, just use the top barrel (.22) or if they furry little jerks are on the move whack em' with the .410.

It depends on the situation. If I'm not real serious I always go for the .22. If the leaves are still on and I want to put meat on the table I go for high brass 6 shot in either a 12 or 20 ga. But you're right about training yourself to shoot by sticking with a .22.

Only problem with .22 is the idea of shooting a rifle into the sky. It's probably safe but it gives me the worries. If anybody can give me some reasons not to worry that would be cool. Thanks.

I agree with most others...22. You don't have to worry about biting into shot, adds a challenge, and is just plain fun!

Savage Model 24 (if you can get your hands on it) or Model 42. The Model 24 is one of the coolest classics I've ever laid eyes on and Savage now makes the 42, newer version of the 24. You can have what option you want but I love the .22lr/.410 combo for the gun and use it for squirrel and rabbit hunting. If you can get a head shot, just use the top barrel (.22) or if they furry little jerks are on the move whack em' with the .410.

Exactly

Only problem with .22 is the idea of shooting a rifle into the sky. It's probably safe but it gives me the worries. If anybody can give me some reasons not to worry that would be cool. Thanks.

My concerns too. It's weird. There are WMAs around me where .22's are legal, where I wouldn't DREAM of shooting skyward. Way to close to town/houses. There are other places (usually USFS Wildlife Refuges) where it's not allowed but would be safe.

Emrah

Shotty early in the year when you have to shoot through foliage. Then switch to the 22 later when the leaves have fallen.

As to shooting a 22 into the air, I've probably shot more squirrels on the ground than in trees. When shooting into trees I try to make sure there is a tree trunk behind the squirrel. It isn't ideal but I've yet to have a problem with it.

Back