WY Elk: KHunter archery 2016

image.jpgThe stuff you find out on BLM land. There was a dilapidated 2-hole out house next to it.

Last edited:
Wow - envious of your time out there! I'm leaving for Wyoming in 2+ weeks, cannot wait as I'm taking my oldest daughter on her first elk hunt!

image.jpgimage.jpgtoday was exactly what we hope for in an elk hunt. lots of bulls to choose from and close encounters...and bugling, raking and all the good stuff.

almost had chance to kill this bull. Spotted him and his 20? cows 2.3 miles across a basin from where I was angling to get a different bull I was waiting for opening to stalk. Having been to almost exact spot where he had his 20 cows in a tight knot on a ridge top just yesterday when trying to locate 2 of the 5 bulls spotted there yesterday....I figured they would bed in nearby thick PJ I knew was right there.

BY 11 am I was in the area and slowly working through 1/4 miles of thick PJ with strong wind in my face toward the end of ridge were I guessed they would bed within a few hundred feet ofvwhere I spotted them queued up. When I was running out of ridge, I figured I was right on top of them or they had hightailed it.

So I let out a scream of a bugle and got immediate growling bugle in response...from inside 100 yards! here he comes! is what I was thinking.

He came in to about 60 but with thick trees blocking any view, and 60 is too far for me anyway. after some bugling and raking back and forth all was quiet for 10 minutes. I thought maybe he hooked his cows and left so started sneaking in closer.....

Last edited:
image.jpgHere is another bull that was blocking my stalk to the first and bigger bull (no pic) I was going after first thing this morning...pretty bull.

also, my brother relocated the big, WIDE, bull. may get after him tomorrow!

Last edited:
I find myself checking on this thread about six times a day. I'll be spending plenty of Time sitting in airports today. Looking forward to another update on this mornings hunt. Good luck.

Closer by the hour.

Closer by the yard is more like it....

Today was another banner day for sure.

Starte off refinding bull I came close to getting a shot on yesterday and his now 23 cows. a couple miles and a lot more elevation away from where I left him. (he left me).

We waited till they picked an aspen pocket to bed in and started our climb. Going extra high and wide to keep the wind good. Yes hunting his bedroom 2nd day in a row.

We start into the aspens and brother gives a locator bugle as it is now 10 am and no bugling going on. immediate reply only 80 yards away and two more bulls furhte away and further downhill within maybe 200 yards. I made 30 yards and set up as brother stayed back only 20 yards behind me as we were caught off guard to be so close already.

I see 5 cows and a glimpse of the bull. He is hanging tight as brother works him well including raking and breaking branches which stirs iup the bull to get up and tear up a tree.

Ths goes on for awhile till the bull is worked up and here he comes. I draw easily when he is at 35 yds and he clears trees and stops broadside looking over to my brother. He is the same or twin of the dark bull I posted yesterday? that was blocking my access to stalk a bigger bull. Brother and I both guess him to be right at 300 inches and had a nice long up close look at him. I pass on the shot and was prepared to as the growling bugle of the big guy from day before was recognizable down the hill a couple hundred yards or so.

Bull came in to 10 feet of my brother then walkd back by me! eExciting stuff.

So we continue the chase for the bigger bull. He had moved his herd further down the mountain and we gave chase and literally dogged a dink bull and cows within 40-80 yards. Amazing how you can get away with movement, etc. once inside the inner "zone" of a herd. Whole different ball game for some reason in my opinion. we spent over an hour today within 40 yards of a lot of elk during this stalk into their bedding area.

We got spotted and hung up in the open with a nice 6 point that pegged us at 80 yards with 4 cows and had to wait that out. thiscisxwhere taking copius photos can pay off. My brother pondered whether this nice but not big 6 bull was in fact the same bull I had chased a day earlier and was my focus for today. In otherveords had zi misjudged him. out comes the camera andcwe compare to see thos bull is different and smaller. Anyhow, the herd slipped away and we stopped hearing bugles to point us to them.

We chilled, ate a snack and then decided to push into the next aspen pocket where we thought the herd bull and cows went.

Darned if we do not drop right onto the big guy with no cows we can see in the way...my brother spotted him him raking a tree at 75 yards. we were 60-80 higher elevation than hm and I needed to close the distance. I slip down there while my brother keeps him occupied. After some maneuvering and dodging several cows milling through feeding at CLOSE range and not accidentally shooting a dinker bull that stepped out at 32 yards, there he finally is for the taking at 43 yards broadside looking toward my brother off to the side. To me he is a great bull for the area and looks terrific with horns in full view. All I need is one more step for him to follow a cow and expose his vitals as I stand at full draw.....you know how this ends...more tomorrow f I can.

Last edited:
image.jpgAnother pic. Nice bull. We were glassing dinks and he walks out and lays down. Stalked up a steep chute with trees and got to his level at 60 yds with lots of trees between us. Closed to 35.

Note to self do not stop for a preshot selfie with your trophy without accounting for sun glint off phone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
UGH! That's a great bull all the way around. I wouldn't have let that one slip away.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back