Nosler rifles and calibers

GlockZ

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who owns a Nosler rifle? I've been told they are a well built firearm,but have never come across anybody that actually owns one. I'm looking at maybe getting one. Also anyone use any of Noslers calibers? I was thinking of 300wsm,but now I'm now interested in the all 3 Nosler offerings. I know it won't be cheap, and right now just looking, haven't made up my mind yet.

My curiosity peaked when the 26 came out, then the 28, and now the 30 Nosler. Then while attending the Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg this past Febuary, I stopped at the Nosler booth and chatted with them, I was told that they've cleaning taken all game with the 26,except brown bear,( b/c they haven't tried too). Then was told the 28 is so much better and the 30 was even better than the 28!

I've actually heard a few negatives about them, most people I've spoken to really struggle getting them to shoot well. Haven't shot one myself so can't speak with authority but i've heard it enough I personally wouldn't get one.

I haven't shot one, or owned one or know anyone that has one. But, I have seen them at a store and have held them. They look to be very nicely finished and the bolt seemed to work smoothly. But, for me, they were too heavy. I would guess them at 7 1/2 pounds empty & w/o scope. Just my $.02 and personal preferences.

I've been curious about the 30 nosler as well. I just don't know anyone who has one. Seems like a great caliber, I might just have to bite the bullet and get one.

Have always jones'd for a Nosler rifle in a regular caliber...but did almost spring for a LAW in 28 Nosler but lack of availability and a few negative reviews on the caliber averted the plunge.

I used to sell the Nosler Rifles. From everything I've seen they are well made rifles. The insight I can offer on the Nosler chamberings is that they are based on the .404 Jefferies. In my very honest opinion, unless you are looking for a caliber to try to take an elk at ranges beyond 600yds there is not a significant enough benefit in my mind over a .300wsm. Others are right, sometimes it can be difficult to get the really hot 30's to shoot well. In my time handling the Nosler rifles, I don't think that the stocks would be comfortable for as hard hitting a cartridge as the 28 or 30 Nosler. For those rifles, I think a .300wsm is about the butter zone balancing knock down w/o excessive recoil.

Last edited:
I have been hunting a .300 RUM for about 16 years. For some reason, the .30 Nosler intrigues me. I've shot and loaded for big .30's for a long time. It's not difficult to get big cased magnums to shoot well. Most of the time, poor grouping lies with a shooter that can't handle the cartridge. mtmuley

A friend of mine has two of their rifles and he really likes them, says they shoot well, he's a meticulous reloader which I'm sure helps. His rifles are not any of the Nosler calibers you mentioned, so if that changes things I don't know. I would guess the Nosler calibers will have a bit shorter barrel life, if you shoot a lot that may or may not be an issue. I like the feel of Nosler rifles and have come close to buying one, but I'm not an owner ... yet.

I have been hunting a .300 RUM for about 16 years. For some reason, the .30 Nosler intrigues me. I've shot and loaded for big .30's for a long time. It's not difficult to get big cased magnums to shoot well. Most of the time, poor grouping lies with a shooter that can't handle the cartridge. mtmuley

Same case..length, angles, and neck length differeing

Nosler 30

300 RUM

I have a Nosler outfitter in 30-06. I wasn't looking for one, but saw it for a great price and picked it up. The trigger is very crisp and the action is butter smooth and has a crisp sound when you lock the bolt. With the limited time I've shot it, it is definitely a sub 1" shooter at 100 yds, I am thinking it will be a 1/2" gun. It's not the lightest gun, but it's just nice all around.

I was shooting next to a guy that had the 26 Nosler. He said he had not gotten to to where he wanted to but liked the rifle. He was a little concerned with barrel life with how fast it was pushing the little 6.5 pills.

A 300wsm will take anything you want to hunt. The recoil is very manageable and loading data is everywhere. I would question if those calibers will last of it they are a flash in the pan so to speak. How available is brass for the noslers, I 'm betting expensive.

These are from my 30-06 Nosler outfitter. These are factory loads, 165g trophy copper. Had a few flyers, but happy with these. Will Try out some other factory loads and try out some hand loads in the offseason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back