PEAX Equipment

OnX Clarification

Ttannahill14

Attached an image as reference, just to make sure I'm scouting correctly. Not saying I'm hunting anywhere near this spot I just picked a location that I could ask a few questions off of. I've never been to this area of Wyoming so just want to make sure I'm understanding the rules/regs and maps.

So if i'm heading northwest on Redbird Road, I could access that small portion of BLM in the upper right corner via that small road even though that road is through private ground. Correct?

Also if I were to turn left and head toward that larger section of BLM, then leave that BLM land on that same road while heading into private ground but staying on the road with a vehicle. Then re-enter the state land while staying on the road, and finally enter into the BLM land in the upper left corner of the map. Obviously staying on the roads whether i'm on private or public if I'm in a vehicle. And pulling over and walking/hunting if i'm on BLM or State land.

ALso camping on BLM land questions?... just pull over to the shoulder of the road and pick a spot and set up camp? Correct? That just seems wrong with my Midwestern brain haha.

Also theres many roads listed on OnX maps... yet when I look on google earth they look like they barely exist. Is a road a road no matter how faint it might be? Public/private doesn't matter as long as I'm in the vehicle I have a right to that road?

Hope this all makes sense. Just trying to avoid being an ignorant hunter...

ONXMAPS1.jpg

The roads have to be public or have a public easement. A lot of counties will have road maps that will help clear that up. If there's still a question get in touch with the land management agency for the area. OnX will show plenty of roads that are not publicly accessible, so you have to be careful.

Last edited:
First, I would call Niobrara county and ask if Redbird Road is county it looks like it might be but I would say its' a 30% chance it's not, if the person in the office doesn't know get the number of the guy who plows for the county and ask how far up he goes, that point is how far it's considered a public road. As for the path in blue that is definitely private. The 1/16 section on right is not accessible by the public. The property on the left is going to be accessible via walk in only or private landowner permission only. Your best bet is to drive up to the edge of the BLM park there and camp up to 300' off the road and then walk in on the public land.

It pays to do your homework on the roads before hand, and get permission if necessary. There are ranchers around here who are very quick to call the warden's on trespassing. I talked to a Warden over in Natrona county where I hunt who said he gets 10-12 violations per season on one tiny corner of private that intersects a road every year.

Apologies I couldn't figure out how to get a screen shot in a PM but below is what the State of Wyoming is showing as country (public) roads in the area you are interested in, hope this helps.
Redbirdroad.jpg

I'd call the county and see if they have any files for Google Earth that show the county roads. If there are any more questions you could call the warden or sheriff. I've found that almost everyone I've talked to regarding these issues has been very helpful.

Just from looking on the map I'd say you'd be asking for a ticket traveling on your blue lines, but the only way to be certain is to talk to someone from the county that knows.

If it's a county rd it will have a number on it at the highway junction. Call the landowner and talk with them. Those folks in Lusk area are very nice.

According to their county road web map it is a public road as is the Wasserburger RD to the south. The niobrara co webpage has a county rd map page under the assessors link.http://www.niobraracounty.org/_depa...F/maps/2015/2015 Niobrara County Road Map.pdf

If you notice this map has a disclaimer at the top which says the roads depicted may be private roads... it's a good start and might get you off with a good faith trespass but It's not definite. To do that you need to figure out what roads the county maintains. If public dollars are used on a road it's definitely public.

According to the county assessor, I called her, all the roads depicted on the county's map linked above are public roads. If the roads is on any of the maps they provide for the county roads and hunting area maps it is public. If the road continues past what is depicted on the map then it becomes private. They have some pretty good maps showing the different hunt areas for elk, deer, and antelope. The disclaimer does not apply to those maps.

Nice!

I have learned a lot about legal access on this forum. Thanks to all who contribute to this knowledge base!

Back