Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spotting scopes

texrope

Can anyone compare the Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 x 60 spotting scope vs the Vortex Razor HD 16-48 x 65. Quality, usefulness, ease of use, etc.

Thank you.

If I were you I would just go into the store that has them both and try them out. Nothing better than your own eyes through a scope.

Texrope,
Did you ever get a good answer regarding your question? I'm trying to compare the Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 x 60 with the 20-60 x 80. Have you made that comparison? If so, which did you go with and why?
Thanks,
Rusty

Texrope,
Did you ever get a good answer regarding your question? I'm trying to compare the Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 x 60 with the 20-60 x 80. Have you made that comparison? If so, which did you go with and why?
Thanks,
Rusty

I have them both. I use the GR 60 mm far more than the 80 mm. Just a weight an bulk issue for when it comes to any 80+ mm. The 60mm Gold Ring is far lighter than any other spotters in the 60-65 mm class. In the case of the two the original post mentioned, the weight is 37 oz for the Gold Ring and 57 oz for the Razor. The Gold Rings two you are considering are built on a very similar platform, have the same glass and coatings, though the 80 mm is not much lighter than the competitors in the 80+mm class, coming in at 62 oz.

I've found the 60 mm to be additional weight I can carry without much hesitation. And, at smaller scope weight, it can be used on a smaller tripod saving more bulk and weight.

I have a 25X fixed Leupold I bought off eBay for a couple hundred bucks. Low light performance isn't great, but talk about light. :)

I think about changing, but really like that little thing.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back