Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Elk unit 7 Attention

BuzzH

I originally posted about this land exchange happening in unit 7 in the Wyoming section.

The detailed analysis on this proposal came out and will now be heard by the State Land Board. The detailed analysis can be found here:

http://slf-web.state.wy.us/surface/landtransactions/2016/Bonander/DetailedAnalysis.pdf

Myself and JM77, that posts here, have spent considerable time getting the word out, but if anyone hunts, or is currently thinking of hunting unit 7 in the future, I would recommend you comment on this proposal. The area in question is a great back country place to hunt on foot/horse for elk in unit 7. We have talked to hunters that have taken bull elk, of the large to extra large variety, from this area.

Jeff put these points together and would be good to add in your comments if you so choose:

---1,040.67 acres of state land in the Cow Creek drainage of the Laramie Range are proposed to be traded for 295 acres in the Black Hills.

---If approved, this trade would isolate over 3,000 acres of currently accessible public lands and with the loss of the 1,040 acres to Bonander, would be a net loss of 4,200+ acres of currently accessible public lands in the Laramie Range. This is prime elk and deer habitat with quality hunting.

---There is also an indirect loss of access to 10,000 acres of public land because one of the two access points would be lost in this trade.

---County Rd 207 snakes through most of the 295 acres of deeded and provides more access points, but no additional access to current adjacent public lands.

---Currently the state land in the Laramie Range could bring in approx $917.46 in grazing and outfitter fees yearly as estimated by state land office.

---The deeded Black Hills property is estimated to bring in $724.52 in grazing fees yearly. however, a local rancher and appraiser feels this estimate could be as much as 5 times too high due to carrying capacity and AUMs were estimated by state lands employees.

Comments need to be submitted to Jason Crowder prior to October 5th at the following email address:

[email protected].

Let them know that you value your public access.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, one of the reason I chose to move to Wyoming was the access to land. Coming from a state where the lack of access is one of the main driving factors on why people don't hunt, this sickens me. Although I've never put in for 7 for a type 1 (my heart is set on another area for type 1) I do love 7 for the late season access and extra type 6 tags that are always a give-me. I'll be doing some homework and submitting my own views as well as the information that you provided. Lets hope for the best.

There is also a proposal by Jerry Kennedy Ranch to trade some land locked sections for the state sections along highway 34. This one needs comments too I believe if it is still open.

I originally posted about this land exchange happening in unit 7 in the Wyoming section.

The detailed analysis on this proposal came out and will now be heard by the State Land Board. The detailed analysis can be found here:

http://slf-web.state.wy.us/surface/landtransactions/2016/Bonander/DetailedAnalysis.pdf

Myself and JM77, that posts here, have spent considerable time getting the word out, but if anyone hunts, or is currently thinking of hunting unit 7 in the future, I would recommend you comment on this proposal. The area in question is a great back country place to hunt on foot/horse for elk in unit 7. We have talked to hunters that have taken bull elk, of the large to extra large variety, from this area.

Jeff put these points together and would be good to add in your comments if you so choose:

---1,040.67 acres of state land in the Cow Creek drainage of the Laramie Range are proposed to be traded for 295 acres in the Black Hills.

---If approved, this trade would isolate over 3,000 acres of currently accessible public lands and with the loss of the 1,040 acres to Bonander, would be a net loss of 4,200+ acres of currently accessible public lands in the Laramie Range. This is prime elk and deer habitat with quality hunting.

---There is also an indirect loss of access to 10,000 acres of public land because one of the two access points would be lost in this trade.

---County Rd 207 snakes through most of the 295 acres of deeded and provides more access points, but no additional access to current adjacent public lands.

---Currently the state land in the Laramie Range could bring in approx $917.46 in grazing and outfitter fees yearly as estimated by state land office.

---The deeded Black Hills property is estimated to bring in $724.52 in grazing fees yearly. however, a local rancher and appraiser feels this estimate could be as much as 5 times too high due to carrying capacity and AUMs were estimated by state lands employees.

Comments need to be submitted to Jason Crowder prior to October 5th at the following email address:

[email protected].

Let them know that you value your public access.

Done

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back