OnXMaps Crashing

Chuck99

Hi I wanted to get feedback from the other folks out there using the OnXMaps on their smartphones. I have Hunt App installed on a Samsung Galaxy S7 and the app keeps crashing when I am off network. I had the phone set to airplane mode but I couldn't get the app to open. Kept Crashing!. I have open a ticket with support and still waiting for an answer back. Not sure if I missed a setting somewhere. App works great when I am on the network. Has anyone else had this issue with Android or with the iOS. Thinking of using it on my iPad if it is more stable.

Made hunting this week very difficult with the private land in the unit. I guess it was a good thing I still had the paper maps.

Look forward to your feedback.

You're not alone. I've used the mobile platform for a few yrs, I think 3, but this will probably be the last!
They raised the price and lowered the quality. Between the crashing and the different levels failing to load half the time or disappearing I'm about done. You can't depend on it working anymore thats for sure.
I've used it on multiple platforms to; Galaxy 3 and 7, iphone 5, and galaxy tablets. Very disappointing because I really enjoyed it.

It's no longer usable on my Samsung either. Hasn't been since the new one came out this spring. Bummer, because I have a membership to three different states through 2017.

This is too bad. These guys had a great concept going but seem to have got lost in the shuffle of gohuntinsider and now I see they are selling land owner vouchers... Wth?

Last week I get an email that I need to pony up another $25 to get the block management update?? I was under the impression the block management layer came with my original purchase I made earlier this year. What the advertisement said at least.

Wish they had stay focused on the original concept cause it was great. I've had very few problems with it on my iphone6 but these posts are unnerving when we are talking about navigation.

Growing faster then they can keep up with all this land owner voucher jazz I fear. Hope it doesnt sink them.

I only use the OnXMaps GPS chip in my Garmin Oregon. Prefer to use a phone version in theory since less items to deal with on a backpack hunt but to me it is unacceptable to sell a version of a product that is unstable. Think about it. for You are on a hunt and perhaps in a remote area on a limited timeline with infrequent or zero cellular coverage when the phone version fails. Who has the time during a hunt for screwing around with submitting a trouble ticket? If did manage to file a trouble ticket, you sure as heck there would need faster turnaround on tickets than a few days. All hunts are important to me but I would absolutely swear off doing business with OnXMaps if their chip fails me on my moose hunt next month. My Garmin has been stable so am not losing sleep. Just a bit wary now.

This is too bad. These guys had a great concept going but seem to have got lost in the shuffle of gohuntinsider and now I see they are selling land owner vouchers... Wth?

Last week I get an email that I need to pony up another $25 to get the block management update?? I was under the impression the block management layer came with my original purchase I made earlier this year. What the advertisement said at least.

Wish they had stay focused on the original concept cause it was great. I've had very few problems with it on my iphone6 but these posts are unnerving when we are talking about navigation.

Growing faster then they can keep up with all this land owner voucher jazz I fear. Hope it doesnt sink them.

I think you might be confusing the two companies? I can't find anything about onxmaps selling vouchers.

Exactly Lopehunter.

To give them there due credit I tested the crap out of it this weekend and had zero problems. Closed the app, powered down my phone and was able to reload in an area of zero cell service. I did this numerous times during a 6 mile hike.

If I was going into unknown country I would take my gps but I know my hunting area well so still plan on using this as my only device this year. I always pack my phone to stay in touch with the family if I get a bit of service on top of a ridge. Very convenient to have photo, video, compass and land ownership all on one device that is already going in the pack.

Hoping they get back on track!!

I think you might be confusing the two companies? I can't find anything about onxmaps selling vouchers.

You are probably right Randy. I'm getting barraged with offers and adds lately. I tried to find it but can't.

Just remember thinking wth? I didnt look real close so it probably was a different company.

Sorry for the mis info.

I'm just starting to use the iPhone app this year and haven't had any issues thus far. I also have the chip in my garmin, which has been flawless. As for renewal, the subscription is good from 12/1-11/30. I'll definitely update my chip before season starts in 5 DAYS (Yee-haw!!)

I just go with the chips in my GPS. I just don't have the patience to deal with it sporadically working (or not) when I'm in the middle of nowhere and want to know where I'm at. The chip works perfectly so I'm not changing to something that doesn't.

The best time to update the BM info is after it has been released for the new year.:D Pointless to up date during the winter before.
Now if the process of updating the chip became easier I would be pretty psyched....my computer savvy wife didn't have much good to say about the OnX site/process for upload.
I have been treated well by the guys at OnXmap,

I have the same thing on my phone. i won't renew once my subscription runs out. Good thing I have the chips for GPS or I would be in trouble.

Is everyone that is having trouble using a Samsung Galaxy? I was planning on getting the app for an upcoming antelope hunt, but maybe not???

Is everyone that is having trouble using a Samsung Galaxy? I was planning on getting the app for an upcoming antelope hunt, but maybe not???
It sounds like they have a problem on the Samsung.

I'm not having any problems on my iPhone this year. I I was having problems with the previous version with it getting stuck at 99% when downloading maps, but this year it has worked fine.

I was thinking of getting the app for my iPhone because my Garmin Oregon 600 still only gets a couple hours out of batteries. so i guess i better get a new GPS very Quickly.Two weeks to be exact.

Thanks for all the replies. Tech Support sent me a quick reply. They know that the Android app is not as stable as the iOS devices. There is suppose to be a release to fix known bugs and hopefully stabilize the app. Sometime this week. If you do have a iOS device like a iPad you might want to use this instead of the Android phone. Understanding it is bigger but at least it is more stable. Hopefully the new release will fix some of the known issues on the Android devices.

Good Luck at there.

Hello,

We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your feedback. Your feedback will help us continue to make a better product.

If you are having issues with your Android device, we have a few tips and tricks to get the app working for you. First please make sure you have the most up to date version of the app, you can do this by going to the Google Play Store and checking for an update. We release new versions of the app quite often with bug fixes and new features.

We have great tutorial videos and instructions at the following link. http://http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/hunt-app-mobile-devices-instructions

If you are looking to use our maps and are going somewhere with no cell coverage. You can save your maps for offline use and still see your GPS location on our maps without any cell coverage. Please follow this link for instructions. http://https://vimeo.com/152428044

If there are any questions or concerns, I suggest reaching out to our support team and they will be able to help you. You can best reach them by emailing [email protected]

Thank you,
onXmaps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back