MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

FT and OYOA inspiration to success

PKRustics

I've not been a hunter as long as most. I didn't get started until my early 20s. Even then, hunting wasn't actually hunting. It was more of a vacation from work and school. I only became a bow hunter about six years ago. I rapidly became addicted to the sport. In my home state of Colorado we have the opportunity to pursue eight big game species. I love the challenge of the sport and more importantly the pursuit. The animals are much more calm and I see a lot more game archery hunting than I do rifle hunting. I still rifle hunt but I have to say archery is my favorite.

I often fill my off seasons with youtube, how to, and DIY hunting research. Watching Randy's shows "Fresh Tracks" and "On Your Own Adventures" I have to say really gave me the inspiration to pursue pronghorn with my bow this year. In Colorado, it takes a number of years to draw a rifle pronghorn tag. However, Colorado offers an OTC Archery Pronghorn tag. I spent about six months planning for this hunt. I studied a lot of maps and spent a lot of time on Google Earth. We bought a house over the summer so my scouting time was left in the vapor trails of home ownership and getting settled in the new house.

I knew the hunt was going to be challenging. In fact, everyone but my wife told me I was wasting my time trying to archery hunt pronghorn. Especially since I don't own a blind, I was only going to pursue by spot and stalk. On top of all of that, Colorado is not known for heavy horned animals, particularly pronghorn. All of the doubt turned into further inspiration to succeed.

With my wife (7 months pregnant might I add) behind the camera, I was able to stalk within 60 yards of this nice pronghorn. To date, this was one of my favorite hunts. I can't wait to share the exciting story with my child in a few months and get back in the field next year for more spot and stalk archery pronghorn hunting!

Katie and I with Antelope.jpg

He looks a little maingy because I shot him and left him overnight. Not knowing it was supposed to rain overnight, we still made a successful recovery!

Congrats! I'm always impressed with a spot-n-stalk bow kill. Best of luck with the expanding family!!

Congratulations. Getting a spot & stalk antelope with a bow is an accomplishment. Nice work.

Footnote: I think you actually have 10 big game species in CO. I bet you could fit all living "CO slam" members in a phone booth.

rmyoung1, yes you are correct about the 10 north american big game animals. I forgot we have two species of deer and two species of bighorn. I'm on my way. I hope to eventually get one of each with the bow. Next year's focus will be on bighorn sheep. I actually drew the tag this year but gave it up due to the pregnancy.

We are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where opportunities like this exist. I failed to mention in my original post that I killed this pronghorn on public land. Making the task even harder. Regardless I'm thrilled and even more thrilled to share it with you folks! In addition the support of fellow outdoorsmen and women makes this hobby, sport, and passion that much better.

I dream of having a show like Randy let alone 2, to bring these experiences and ensue the desire to pursue these majestic animals on public land. Thanks again to everyone for the support, this totally made my day! Enjoy your seasons and hopefully I'll have more to share soon!

Last edited:
Congratulations thats awesome, Im hoping myself to being home a good one here in a couple of weeks. It took me 13 years to draw a tag here in Utah. I have spent 3 months now out scoutung and its been a riot so far, my only concern is how fast it could be over if the big guy shows up early LOL! I want to be picky but not end up dinning on tag soup after all this time. Good looking buck congrats on the new addition to the wall and the family!!!

I'm on my way. I hope to eventually get one of each with the bow. Next year's focus will be on bighorn sheep. I actually drew the tag this year but gave it up due to the pregnancy.

Good luck with your quest. Keep us updated. I actually have a friend in Dolores, CO who has 7 of 10. Check out the ones he's lacking: whitetail, mountain lion, and Rocky Mtn bighorn. Obviously the ram tag is gonna require some luck, but he's had plenty with his desert ram, moose and goat success. He could easily be sitting on 9 if he cared to focus on the whitetail and lion. It's rare company if you're fortunate enough to get there. And,yes, we are all very blessed!

It also depends on what sex of an animal you want to harvest as well. My bighorn tag was for a ewe. I'm not particular on what sex they are. I already got a late start so I want to try and get the rocky mountain big horn out of the way so I can start the quest towards the desert big horn. We cannot apply for both tags in the same year, which makes the quest even more time sensitive.

I'm heading out for an overnight black bear and mule deer hunt this Thursday. I will be sure to keep everyone posted!

Did your friend harvest all of his animals with a bow?

Did your friend harvest all of his animals with a bow?

I'm not 100% sure if he's arrowed an antelope in CO. I know he has in MT. Not sure about CO. The desert ram was with a rifle because his bow got crushed early in the hunt in an unfortunate rockslide incident. Elk, mule deer, bear, moose and goat were with a bow. The guy's just one of those really effective hunters who no one knows about. And he's been extremely fortunate in the draws.

Last edited:
Next year's focus will be on bighorn sheep. I actually drew the tag this year but gave it up due to the pregnancy.
Congrats on the lope. Fair warning...you may never draw that sheep tag again. Or you might draw it again next year.

Fair warning...you may never draw that sheep tag again. Or you might draw it again next year.

It was a risk I had to take. Ewe tags for my unit only take 1-2 preference points each year to draw. I'm hoping to draw again next year or the year after. Time will tell but I knew the risks of returning the tag. In the end my kid is more important than that hunt...

Ah, I wasn't thinking about a ewe tag. You'll draw that again. Obviously family is more important. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back