Caribou Gear

Sleeping in a truck, and dry ice...

There is a good chance that I will need this cooler to remain COLD for 7 days! I am doing the frozen jugs, but I am planning on topping them with a few blocks of dry ice to buy me more time. Speaking of the jugs, I am having a heck of a time with them splitting open even after pouring off a cup or 2 of water before freezing them!

I use plastic coffee containers. They dont split like milk jugs.

Looking forward to your report!

Please don't take this as arrogance on my behalf, but I work in an industrial process that produces CO2 as a by-product, which we then scrub and sell to be made into dry ice. Here are some facts about CO2 that not everyone may know and can help avoid a unfortunate accident. CO2 is odorless, tasteless, and heavier than air. It displaces oxygen in enclosed spaces, like inside a trailer, inside a car, or under a camper top. It also breaks down rapidly when submerged in water and creates carbonic acid as a result, lowering the pH of the water its submerged in. Not trying to be a know it all, Im just around this stuff all the time. Hope this helps. Good luck and stay safe out there.

What I've been doing in prep is freezing block ice in plastic containers. Then, taking them out and vacuum sealing the block. Don't know if you have a sealer but it might help with the block ice situation.

Put a shelf in the back of your truck for sleeping. We put a couple of 2x4 across the bed rails and screw down a piece of plywood on top then you have a shelf to put things on while you sleep on the bed of the truck. We leave ours in all year to haul things up off of the bed while leaving the under side free for larger items.It takes up less than half of the bed length.

If you can, use duct tape to seal around the ice chest. This helps to prevent the CO2 from leaking out, plus your ice will last longer. I also put some newspaper on top of the ice and a blanket or towels (if you have room) on top of the newspaper before taping the ice chest closed. I make several wraps around the ice chest with 4 inch duct tape to seal it completely.

Put a shelf in the back of your truck for sleeping. We put a couple of 2x4 across the bed rails and screw down a piece of plywood on top then you have a shelf to put things on while you sleep on the bed of the truck. We leave ours in all year to haul things up off of the bed while leaving the under side free for larger items.It takes up less than half of the bed length.
Something like this ?

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 115
I probably should have noted that my "truck" is a 4runner :p .... I wanted a 4 door Tacoma with a topper but DAYUM, they are spendy!!!!!

Attachments

• 4runner.jpg
    4runner.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 61
Hard to believe that is the same truck !! It looks like a full size from the interior pictures. You did a great job of space management.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back