Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sleeping in a truck, and dry ice...

bigdonniebrasco

This may sound silly, but I certainly don't want to kill myself because I was embarrassed to ask.

If I have a cooler that contains dry ice in the back of my 4runner, and I decide to sleep in the back (beside the cooler) do I run the risk of getting asphyxiated by CO2? Or, is this not a concern if the cooler is closed tightly?

Thanks!

Don

last year i left a cooler in my rental when i stayed in a motel to get clean for the drive home and when i got back in the rental i couldnt breath and had to get back out. lessons learned: use a cargo hauler on the back for coolers with dry ice
so if you decide to sleep in the truck put the cooler outside:)

Asking about a safety question is never too silly.

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is much different than Carbon monoxide. If you have a topper and a very leaky cooler - there is a possibility of enough gas build-up where you would get sick. Fresh air movement would decrease the risk (cracking a window, leaving tailgate open). You could always move the cooler too.

Here's a link on CO2: http://chemistry.about.com/od/medicalhealth/a/Carbon-Dioxide-Poisoning.htm

Asking about a safety question is never too silly.

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is much different than Carbon monoxide. If you have a topper and a very leaky cooler - there is a possibility of enough gas build-up where you would get sick. Fresh air movement would decrease the risk (cracking a window, leaving tailgate open). You could always move the cooler too.

Here's a link on CO2: http://chemistry.about.com/od/medicalhealth/a/Carbon-Dioxide-Poisoning.htm

In the event that I might have to go offroad I was hoping to NOT have to install the cargo hauler (extends the exit angle too much).
I also hate leaving my cooler on my truck if I am away from it. It's a 150 qt full of ice and meat...moving it isn't an option... I'm strong, but I aint THAT strong! ;)
I think the easy answer is just don't sleep in the truck. I was just thinking if I hit some CRAP weather I could just crash in the truck, but it's not worth the risk.

Thanks again (38 days)

Why mess with dry ice? I've never been able to not get by with frozen milk jugs.

In the event that I might have to go offroad I was hoping to NOT have to install the cargo hauler (extends the exit angle too much).
I also hate leaving my cooler on my truck if I am away from it. It's a 150 qt full of ice and meat...moving it isn't an option... I'm strong, but I aint THAT strong! ;)
I think the easy answer is just don't sleep in the truck. I was just thinking if I hit some CRAP weather I could just crash in the truck, but it's not worth the risk.

Thanks again (38 days)

There's a good chance if you go off road you're breaking the law. Just something to keep in mind.

Why mess with dry ice? I've never been able to not get by with frozen milk jugs.

There is a good chance that I will need this cooler to remain COLD for 7 days! I am doing the frozen jugs, but I am planning on topping them with a few blocks of dry ice to buy me more time. Speaking of the jugs, I am having a heck of a time with them splitting open even after pouring off a cup or 2 of water before freezing them!

There's a good chance if you go off road you're breaking the law. Just something to keep in mind.

Oh, I certainly won't be going off road where it's not 100% legal, I'm just trying to think of EVERYTHING. All the "what-if's". Legal or not, if the weather got really whacky and I HAD to leave the road for even for a short distance (road obstruction etc)..... I know...I am WAY overthinking this.... but that's just me.

Bdb,

Not sure where you are hunting but I think every Walmart carries dry ice so you may just be able to use milk jugs and do dry ice afterwards before you head out. I have done that several times.

Can't you just put it outside, or on the roof? Seems like a cooler would take up a lot of sleeping space.

Couldn't you just take some of the meat out of the cooler and set it on a clean plastic sheet or clean trash bag, move the cooler to the ground and then reload the cooler. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Just a thought if you have a significant concern.

What about a hitch receiver, hauler/platform thingy? A big cooler like that must take up most of the space in the back of a 4 Runner?

Couldn't you just take some of the meat out of the cooler and set it on a clean plastic sheet or clean trash bag, move the cooler to the ground and then reload the cooler. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Just a thought if you have a significant concern.

This seems like the most simple solution to me.

Don't overthink things! An antelope hunt is about as simple as it gets. Go have fun and post pictures when you get back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back