Yeti GOBOX Collection

Vortex Spotter

TheSurveyor

Looking at picking up a Vortex Diamondback. I searched on here and only seen it come up a few times with mixed mostly poor reviews. All of the reviews on Cabelas are 4 and 5 star. So whats the deal? I know there is better glass just like there are faster cars and prettier women but I'm just not going to spend that kind cash. I'd be afraid to take it out and use it. Is the Diamondback a happy median?

What are you wanting to use it for? If you are spotting a farm in the Midwest from 200 yards away it'd probably be great. If you are hoping to spot elk in Montana at a mile and tell what kind of bull it is you will probably be disappointed. I'd say the biggest factor will be what type of hunting you plan to do with it.

It is a good scope in that price range. It comes from a company that backs there products.

It is a bottom tier scope but is useable. Lots of hard cores here that save for top tier scopes so you dont hear much on them. I think you would be happy with it.

I have had one for about 2 years. I'd give it a solid B+. I can't afford ~$1K for a nicer one, but this one in its price range is unbeatable. I looked at several units before purchasing this one. And Vortex's warranty is legendary. You may be able to find one on ebay and save some bucks.

I'll be using it to locate game (deer, elk, bears) in Colorado. Not looking to score a bull on the otherside of the drainage but find him and verify he's a legal 4pt or better. I currently don't own a spotter and after using a friends scouting I decided its worth packing the extra weight.

I've been using one for the past couple of years and I'd give it a B. Make sure you get a sturdy tripod for it. When mine is set at 20x it works well and the quality is good, but as soon as your try to increase the magnification the quality goes to hell. For the money though, it sure helps getting a better view of something after I've spotted with my bino's.

I have one I am looking to pass on. I have upgraded and don't use it anymore. I used it for 2 seasons. Let me know if you are interested. I think it is good glass for the price range.

It worked great for me.

SD

The biggest problem I have with Vortex is the money they ask for the product. It's my opinion that there is comparable glass for less money. But someone has to pay for the great warranty service they provide, and it comes with the price.

I have a Viper 15-45x65. I had to use the legendary warranty as the first one was broken. Broken NIB. I would sell the "new" one. Haven't even looked through it. Roll the dice. mtmuley Wanted a Kowa but dishwashers break at the most inopportune times. I'll wash them by hand next time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back