Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gun case & airline .......

glass eye

Has anyone ever removed the foam padding from a gun case and filled it with clothes for padding ?
I know some have done this with bow cases but I was wondering if the airlines would accept a firearm packed in this manner.

Don't see why they wouldn't. As long as they can get to it to check.

No. but interesting idea. The airline shouldn't care they never get into your gun case only customs. As long as it's nothing else restricted I don't see a problem.

That will be fine, but it's when the case is packed with lots of other items they can refuse to take it.
The case goes through security, it gets scanned, the only thing they want to see is your gun and associated equipment, after that it goes through customs, gets checked, and then loaded directly onto the plane.
The first time i traveled by air i also packed some fishing equipment in there, they grumbled a bit in security but let it go through.
Cheers
Richard

I used to do it with archery equipment in hard sided golf bags! Sometimes I even had a handgun in a separate locked case inside of the golf bag. It was declared, of course. Seems like the gar came out faster in Denver than if it was a dedicated bow case. Those you had to get from a room with an attendant; the hard sided golf bag came out on the carousel.

Just remember to abide by the weight restrictions.

The best thing to do is go to the airlines web sight and print the rules, read them and abide by them. And then keep a copy on you while traveling. I was surprised that I was actually allowed to pack non-loose ammunition in the gun case with the gun, and so was the lady who checked my bags. This is why you keep a copy of the rules with you.

I've only flown with a gun a few time and had various interactions. I could see where it would be ok with one guy and not the next. I don't think I'd do it unless I had no choice. I can see them saying they can't properly inspect do to the clothing. I had one gun pull out my rifle and shot gun so he could pull out the foam and feel every inch to make sure I wasn't hiding anything.

I haven't removed clothing but I have packed all kinds of stuff in my gun case. Ammo,knives, maps, and anything I feel is essential that I can't carry on. My luggage rarely gets checked when traveling on vacation. When I through a jet boil, water filter, mess kit etc. in the bag they seem to check it at every connecting flight. Anything in your gun case with a non tsa lock can only be checked in your presence. There's a you tube video about traveling with guns that's pretty informative. He even recommended using lockable cases and putting a flare gun inside and declaring it just to keep tsa out of your stuff.

The best thing to do is go to the airlines web sight and print the rules, read them and abide by them. And then keep a copy on you while traveling. I was surprised that I was actually allowed to pack non-loose ammunition in the gun case with the gun, and so was the lady who checked my bags. This is why you keep a copy of the rules with you.
I'd throw a copy in the gun case too.

They definitely don't know the rules. Last January I flew to Orlando to hunt ducks near Okeechobee. On the way home I had an extra box of shells that I packed in my checked gear bag. The gal asked me if I had ammo and then proceeded to make me fill out a 2nd firearms declaration card to put in my gear bag that had the ammo. I explained to her that it wasn't required but she was adamant about it. I wrote with large letters "AMMO" on the card so that TSA wouldn't be searching for a gun that wasn't there.

I wouldn't do it as protocol varies from airport to airport based on their physical set-up (generally larger airports). For example, when I fly out of SJC I send in my case, then wait 5 minutes for someone to come and ask for the key, they then take the key in the back, open the case, confirm it's okay, then close it back up and bring me the key. In this case there is no way I would have a variable like clothes used for padding. The procedure is similar at SFO and GEG (Spokane).

Going in and out of Missoula it's no issue because TSA is right next to the ticket counters so you just wheel the bag over and can watch them open and inspect.

... Anything in your gun case with a non tsa lock can only be checked in your presence. There's a you tube video about traveling with guns that's pretty informative. He even recommended using lockable cases and putting a flare gun inside and declaring it just to keep tsa out of your stuff.

I'm sure there are YouTube videos sharing one thing or another though this portion is 100% inaccurate. No matter any item packed in a suitcase or other baggage... Any package may be inspected at any time w or w/o a person present if there is any safety / security concern.

You can definitely pack clothes in a gun case. I've done it a bunch. In fact, you can do it while having the gun in there. I usually pack my firearm related stuff, knives, optics in my SKB due to how rugged it is. I've also used it just like a regular suitcase. As others have said, print the airline rules and keep a copy. It also helps to leave some extra time for check in along with a positive attitude. The airlines are faced with people attempting crazy stuff every day, so being prepared and pleasant will make the experience better for all parties.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back