2016 Idaho Mule Deer - Pack Goat Hunt!

Duck-Slayer

I'm going too start this thread off by a recap of the last 2 1/2 years in preparation for this hunt, So back a few years ago I was lucky enough too bag a giant deer, 2 elk, on my own DIY style, the pack out hurt my already broke body, so I made the decision too get pack goats, easy too care for, easy too train, and they eat anything.

Fast forward too last fall, we took our 3 goats with us on my wife's Late Oct. elk hunt, they were not quite old enough too pack a full load but we wanted too get them out and get some experience, Mr. Bill (white multi color), Mr. Black (black one), and Mr. Buck (brown one), are our 3 goat's name's.

IMG_0147_zpswwe5nyro.jpg

My daughter used Mr. Bill in the 2016 Canyon County Fair pack goat coarse and she got First Place in her division! I was really proud of her, She also used her (up coming) goat named Prince. She got 4th Place with Price.

IMG_0148_zps71wxpvba.jpg

IMG_0149_zps9oy99cdo.jpg

I also built a couple of 11lb. pannier cooler's too carry in my frozen food, extra water, and some milk! I added 1" layer of foam to all side's and cover too help extend my frozen food.
IMG_0176_zpshosojteq.jpg

Fast forward too Aug. been training with the goat's all summer, I've been running when I get the chance, got everything loaded in the packs last night, minus food (replaced with 4 gallons of water too simulate the weight) - Mr. Bill packed our water 6 Gallons - Mr. Buck packed all my gear - Mr. Black packed frozen food and extra water(simulated), and we went for about a 2 mile walk. They did great, no mishaps at all.

IMG_0198_zpso1rxbnbr.jpg

Now I wait till Monday too leave and pack into a completely new area, i'm giving up my 2 point hunting and going out in a general unit for any deer. I hope to have a great time and too make this a yearly event, unless I draw a tag here.

Made a few Bacon, Potato, Egg, Cheese burrito's too take in with me the other day, I also have been saving left over's from dinner the last couple of weeks, no dehydrated food for this guy! and I bought a 9 cup percalater off of Amazon so I get my daily caffeine fix!

IMG_0197_zpsqr2d4njy.jpg

T-minus 3 days......
Matt

Sounds like you got it all worked out. That buck would look great on my wall, if you could ship it that would be nice :cool: Have a great time on your hunt!

That's cool and way to get family Involved! Good luck on hunt! I will not be idaho till October 8th.

C

Good luck! What's the story on the buck on the wall. I also like seeing the Last Supper painting hanging on the wall.

I will be watching this closely, have heard good things about the goat help! Best wishes!

I'm sorta fascinated by the use of the smaller pack animals. Looking forward to how your hunt turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back