Vanish and FireTiger's Journal - Season 6

vanish

Today is Elk Eve here in Colorado, which mean's we're headed to camp in search of elk. This year will be a little different, as FireTiger does not have an archery tag. She drew an either-sex RFW hunt for December, and picked up a re-issue muzzleloader cow tag for the unit I'm archery hunting. My father will be joining me, and I'm going to do what I can to put an elk in his sights first, as last year he missed the season with a torn bicep, and he still hasn't ever put an elk on the ground.

Being CO residents, we do some weekend hunts along with one longer trip. For me, that will be next weekend, while my dad and wife will hunt the week of muzzleloader season. My dad is up there right now checking on what locations are available for us to camp. We have a half dozen locations picked out, but who knows if they will already be occupied. We'll be driving to the hunt areas in the morning.

There won't be a whole lot of new things this year, but one thing that is different, is for base camp hunts, we're trying out the vacuum sealer meals. FireTiger was a cooking fool last week and she changed a few dozen pounds of meat into meals in the freezer! I'm looking forward to lasagna and sausage biscuits with gravy!

Just 3 more hours until we're out of here!

Dad flubbed a 20 yard uphill shot on a cow elk this morning. Lots of animal activity this evening, just not elk. Not enough sigal for pics.

Opening day we saw five cow elk, 32 mule deer and this bull moose. Two bull elk were seen by some folks I know hunting near us.

20160827_164408.jpg

Last edited:
Cold called a calf in to 10 yards. No shot. Not sure I would have anyway.

Had a nice cow come in to 24 yards, then turn and trot away with no shot again.

Something bumped two nice bulls past me. They never offered a shot. While planning my next move, a cow appeared 40 yards behind me. As I looked for a shooting lane, a legal bull stepped out. He stopped at 42 yards but I had one tree right in front of me. Dang

Congratulations to your dad. I love live hunt reporting. Living vicariously from in from of my keypad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back