Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Who caries binos while rifle hunting

Is this a bad joke? or troll? i want the 30 seconds of my life back that i just wasted

You know, I thought the same thing when I read the question by Majja (the OP). But then I realized that there are really people that think that way, and unfortunately really don't know any better. When asking people if they have ever been to a hunter ed class, they usually respond "Who me ? Naw I've been hunting all my life". And so they continue on through the hills and valleys, woods and dales, casually endangering everyone's life they come in contact with.
I'm glad he asked the question, because it reinforces my belief that there are people that don't know any better. Maybe Majja knows better now, and a life has been saved. But then again, maybe not. God Bless us all !!

Last edited:
Majja (Matt). PLEASE DON'T HUNT NEAR ME AS I DO NOT WANT ANY RIFLE AIMED AT OR NEAR ME TO SEE WHAT MIGHT BE THERE? LORDY. YOU ARE EXACTLY THE A** THAT GIVES HUNTING A BAD RAP. ASK YOURSELF THIS. WOULD YOU WANT ME TO AIM MY RIFLE AT YOU TO SEE IF YOU ARE WHO EVER?

CRAP. GET YOUR LAZY A** PAIR OF BINOS OR QUIT GOING TO THE WOODS.

GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY MATT(MAJJA). SOME PEOPLE ARE REAL TURDS, MAYBE YOU ARE!!!

The question should be, who doesn't carry binos when hunting? Binos are a MUST!

Exactly! Hopefully I only look down my rifle scope once a hunt. I spend as much time as possible behind binos and a spotting scope. I don't mean to pick on the person posting but I had the same thought as this.

No noharleyyet. It was an intensional shout. Need I be clearer. Don't point your dang rifle at anything that you don't want to shoot!!!!

If you do that to an officer of the law, it might be the last time your will lift a riffle ya think?

I still remember being taught in hunters safety, and even by my elders before that...NEVER POINT YOUR WEAPON AT SOMETHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT, PERIOD.

There were people hunting safely long before binoculars were invented. I point my rifle at things I don't intend to shoot all the time. Right now it is pointed at the ceiling, sometimes the sky, sometimes the ground. I would wager that the rest of you do the same. I hunted for years without any binos, but I eventually learned that they are a very valuable tool. I have found them to be every bit as valuable in the timber as in open country.

A hunter is not dangerous to other people simply because they don't possess binoculars. Otherwise we would be extinct.

This. Not once did I say they are not a valuable tool. I basically said they are a tool that is not always needed.

I am just shocked that people feel it is unsafe to hunt without them. Also no one counter the point I made about the guy drawing on the elk and not shooting on the very show this forum is based on. Dude had no intentions of shooting that bull. No different than pulling up your gun. I am 100% positive I could find an instantance on said show where Randy didn't bino an animal prior to shooting. Hell the last show he killed the bull on. He ran up to said Bull pulled up his rifle and killed it. Off hand great shot by the way. Ya he made have had Binos on it way before but it moved and it all happened fast. He didn't recheck to make sure his back drop was still clear. For the record I have no problem with the shot but on here people want him tossed in the clink.

You don't SPOT with a scope but I have no problem with someone pulling up a rifle on an animal if he knows he has a good back drop and then deciding he isn't going to shoot.

This. Not once did I say they are not a valuable tool. I basically said they are a tool that is not always needed.

I am just shocked that people feel it is unsafe to hunt without them. Also no one counter the point I made about the guy drawing on the elk and not shooting on the very show this forum is based on. Dude had no intentions of shooting that bull. No different than pulling up your gun. I am 100% positive I could find an instantance on said show where Randy didn't bino an animal prior to shooting. Hell the last show he killed the bull on. He ran up to said Bull pulled up his rifle and killed it. Off hand great shot by the way. Ya he made have had Binos on it way before but it moved and it all happened fast. He didn't recheck to make sure his back drop was still clear. For the record I have no problem with the shot but on here people want him tossed in the clink.

You don't SPOT with a scope but I have no problem with someone pulling up a rifle on an animal if he knows he has a good back drop and then deciding he isn't going to shoot.

I think you are misinterpreting the comments as well. Most people have been in hunting situations where binoculars weren't necessary. No one is saying you are required to look through binoculars at every animal you encounter. But what some here seem to be saying is that in situations where binoculars are necessary, a rifle scope is an acceptable substitute. The issue is when people go hunting, see something they need to take a closer look at, and instead of having optics designed for that purpose they use their rifle scope. Are you telling me you would be just fine if some dude had his rifle pointed at you while he watched you through his rifle scope trying to figure out what you were? The gist of all the comments on here is that most people are most definitely NOT ok with that, and it happens way too often. And you can argue the point all you want, but that behavior is not safe firearm handling.

In the western states, hunting without binoculars is widely considered a fools errand.
Using your riflescope to “glass’ is universally considered a major breach of safety and ethics.
Don’t do it. For good reason, it really makes people angry.
I don’t hunt in eastern hardwood forests, but I can tell you that binoculars are just as useful at 30 yards as they are at 600 yards.
The correct use of binoculars will increase your enjoyment, success and safety, no matter where you hunt.

Always have my binocs with me either with rifle or bow in hand. Rifle I'll also have my spotting scope with me.. Also keep an extra set of binocs at camp for the unexpected disaster of breakage...

As a Hunter Education Instructor, Never use your rifle scope for identification. Buy the best pair of binos you can afford, your eyes will thank you and you'll become a better hunter.

When I'm scouting or hunting not far from camp or truck, I usually bring my heavier 10x50 binoculars and use a bino harness. If I am backpack hunting and or doing a lot of climbing (CO elk hunts) I use a pair of light weight 10x25 ED binoculars. On colder weather hunts, I stow them in a compartment in my Cabela's down hand warmer and in warmer weather they go in a pocket as they are really small.

I've always wondered what a prosecutor would do if kicked a guys ass after he looked at you with his rifle scope.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back