Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Scope Rings

RobG

I picked up a used Howa 1500 30'06. It was a gameking package, but the rings and scope were not included. The scope rail is a single piece that covers the bolt action, presumably the one that came from the factory.

I have a Leupold scope, but I need rings. The last time I was at the store I was told there wasn't a need to spend a lot of money, but upon doing a search I see some of you think otherwise. What are the pros/cons of various rings?

Been using Leupold for over 30 years without a hitch. Buy the tools to install the scope correctly, or have a smith do it. Most problems with scope mounts are the result of improper installation. Personal preference, but I dislike the rail covering the ejection port. mtmuley

Been using Leupold for over 30 years without a hitch. Buy the tools to install the scope correctly, or have a smith do it. Most problems with scope mounts are the result of improper installation. Personal preference, but I dislike the rail covering the ejection port. mtmuley
I'm not crazy about the rail covering the port either, although the shells seemed to eject ok. Is it worth getting a two piece?

I'll be the oddball... Love Seekins rings. They are very beefy with excellent design/machining but they are heavier. If you have a 1" tube Midway has them on sale right now for $99 I just grabbed a set.

Like others said, if that one-piece base wasn't bedded correctly, I would lap the rings if you know how or have a smith do it.

I'm not crazy about the rail covering the port either, although the shells seemed to eject ok. Is it worth getting a two piece?

New Leupold bases with rings won't break the bank. Reasonable but still high quality. As I said, been using them a long time. Had them on some hard kicking rifles that were hunted tough. mtmuley

Take off the one piece base and get talley light weights.

Good option, I really like the Talleys. Simple to install, great quality, and of course lightweight.

If you want to keep the one piece base that you already have, I'd recommend Warne rings. High quality and made in the USA (Oregon.)

I don't care for the Leupold twist in style rings. They're just a little more complicated to install and the windage adjustment on the rear base is usually not needed. Weaver style is the way to go, unless you decide to use the one piece Talleys.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1592119694/warne-1-maxima-permanent-attachable-weaver-style-rings

This is more complicated than I thought... I guess I'll ahve the store do the install. Do the Talleys hold the scope better? I do a couple "On Your Butt Adventures" a year.

It doesn't have to be complicated. I know someone else mentioned Burris rings. That's another good choice, and if you want simple, and inexpensive, get the Burris Zee rings. You've already got a base mounted on the rifle. Get some Weaver style rings, and you're set. Only about $25 for these and you can easily install the scope yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-420084-Rings-1-Inch-Medium/dp/B000JZ13O8

If you go with Talleys, it'll be about $50.

Last edited:
I like Talley for fixed (no rail) or Warne rings with the rail if you want QR. The quick release works for my New England whitetail tracking set up when the weather can be iffy, but depending on when/where you will be rifle hunting, it probably isn't needed. That rifle may not even have iron sights?

This is more complicated than I thought... I guess I'll ahve the store do the install. Do the Talleys hold the scope better? I do a couple "On Your Butt Adventures" a year.

The talleys are one piece - no adjusters, no movement, no chance of anything coming loose.

Do NOT have the store mount it. Gunsmiths will lap in your scope for cheap - or bring it to Helena next time and I will do it free.

I wonder how many people that need to re-sight in after flying use adjustable rings...

Money well spent buddy! Like you, I crash alot and have not messed with zero since switching to Talleys.

Last edited:
Totally agree on the Talley's.
I went with Talley's for my MZ 15 yrs ago and switched from the old Leupold bases when I got the Ziess scope 2 yrs ago on the 40 yr old 700.
I mounted and lapped them myself and have not messed with dead on zero since....and usually hurt more than my butt hunting these days..lol

Check out conetrol bases and rings. I've used them on all my rifles. They are smooth and don't have any screw holes to get filled with dirt and junk or worse yet, water that can seize up the threads and make removal a pain. GJ

Back