whitetail predators

duckhunt

I was reading a whitetails unlimited magazine and came across a article stating black bears are an increasing problem. Living in Iowa we only have a few bear sightings in the northeast corner of the state. The article also states that coyotes are a problem. We do have alot of coyotes around. What are your thoughts on black bears and coyotes being predators on whitetail deer?

They are predators, but given the number of whitetails I see everywhere I go, I wouldn't call them a problem.

Bears hammer fawns hard in the spring. Most people don't know that fact. I've found many fawn legs in the spring and summer and lots of times with bear sign near. But deer population hangs on. Doe tags are more of a concern.

Yup bear terrarize fawns in the spring. That and wolfs are harsh on them in WI.

I don't think yotes are a huge predator for deer and I am not sure why people keep pushing it like they are. They may pick a fawn or to off but they feed mostly on small critters. I don't think they are a problem on pheasants wither like people make them to be. Do a little Google search on their diets.

Looked up Iowa DNR. They will eat deer ( Im assuming road kill or wounded deer) there main diet is small game, rodents, grasses, and fruits.

According to Growing Deer TV tics can be pretty hard on fawns too. They recommend prescribed burns every so often to help fight them.

Coyotes are hard on deer if there is deep and crusted snow or they can catch the deer on ice.

This. Otherwise, I think both are far harder on mule deer than they are on the ridiculously prolific white-tailed deer. If coyotes made a big difference, there would not be any left in Texas, as it is coyote central, along with lots of cats.

Bears hammer fawns hard in the spring. Most people don't know that fact. I've found many fawn legs in the spring and summer and lots of times with bear sign near. But deer population hangs on. Doe tags are more of a concern.

Agreed. In New England, black bear in the spring are tough on fawns, as are coyotes (our apex predator) in the winter.

Coyotes will act together to kill adult deer, though it probably isn't all that common. And they surely pick off some fawns. But here, in the midwest, deer are there own worst enemy and overpopulation takes its toll in malnurishment and disease.

Something to consider is that some states out east are experiencing a boom in black bear populations, West Virginia, for instance, had a record season for blackies last year. More bears=more dead deer.

Bears are a major predator here in Swva. My buddy lives on a large farm in the middle of some huge fields and he has numerous bears come down during fawning season. He can watch them grid search the grass looking for their next meal. Like clockwork every spring.

Back