Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

TEXAS EXOTIC HUNT! Scimitar Horned Oryx

firnatine160

I've only been putting in for this tag for a few years but lucky me, I drew it. This is a management hunt at Mason Mountain WMA near Mason TX. I've talked to area managers and have some good information going forward. What I'm interested in is if anyone has any history hunting or living in this area? What are the biggest difficulties of the terrain? i expect to bring plenty of water each day but if anyone has any experience and can help with some of the subtle nuances of the area. any help is greatly appreciated and i will keep you all up to date. the hunt is in mid september.

Awesome critter you are chasing! No info, but will offer you a GOOD LUCK!

PS- Might want to drop Congressman John Carter a thank you note. I feel that his "Three Amigos" legislation was a great move for the propagation of that species.

Lots of cedar brush and rocky areas. Lots of flat tops with steep drop offs but only 150 feet or so to bottoms. Typical hill country terrain imo.

If this is for the broken horn hunt, my son and I had that tag last year. It was hot. My son tagged out in 20 minutes, I did on the third day. I will look up a little more info tomorrow on which compartment we were in. Let them know as soon as possible that you want to stay in the lodge on site. There is a kitchen you can use, there is also an outside grill. They have an ice machine there where you can fill your cooler up with ice. They have a walk in cooler to hang your harvest in. If you have any questions let me know.

On a side note, I hit the jackpot today. Got notified that I was drawn for the Private Lands Pronghorn hunt. 1472 applicants for 1 tag last year.

Pictures weren't all that great, as we were rushing due to the heat.

Here is my son's.

and mine.

firnatine160, congrats on the draw. When are you headed down? My brother and I drew the same tag for October 4-7. I'd love to hear how your hunt goes, so please keep us updated!

Jabber, what method did you guys use to hunt?

Thanks,
Phil

My son's was spot & stalk, mine was setting in a stand during the middle of the day.

I hunted the same hunt as Jabber(who's a great guy) and even hunted his unit after he and his son tagged out but we still didn't get anything. There are only about 80 Scimitar Horned Oryx on about 2,000 acres and they like to be in groups so don't think they're easy to get despite Jabber's awesome success. There were tons of ticks so use spray and check yourself after each day(I had one sucking on my leg). The lodge is nice so I'd stay there and hunt area is really scenic with some cool animals running around. Enjoy the experience!

Thanks for all the good input guys. I'm heading down 9-19 and come back the 23rd. The area managers have been really helpful as well and I look forward to the hunt. I'm bringing the good camera on this one and I'll drop some pictures on here as soon as i can. Thanks again for all your help.

Here's some pictures(including half of Jabber).

6fSvenH_1fSbA5F46ktadaYz41pIilJtRJYtzmopRR-OTPQIMEUjW_oV8IKwSTZ8GKbMks4H5jIphA=w1600-h900-rw-no-tmp.jpg

UDIMJl-nOmWFpwCIauvpldE_mOhhbxB7Fk419hnosTEZV_YZWXzHv3WkfkZuqjgGjKHBgxjHFRuy7A=w1600-h900-rw-no-tmp.jpg

rU-N8rDQb7ZESjougPGBgYkZg7laITZXOOzHi1e0eWeZyZX_KCSbaTAo4lB-pvPz-hrrjmD_TH7qRA=w1600-h900-rw-no-tmp.jpg

T06rbatMSrphUMQiZDrK5PKSy6CejzUB_UO8shCE2iRXMq7gE6xnUqiKqzEGet_f_b2ri9XYtAccJg=w1600-h900-rw-no-tmp.jpg

2MFiaXg6x-rUtQzPzU5TRN2song-HtbPNnpdJa7uKOtE05GD_dZRmmOCTHx3JNZNlTaVw4hKmlF1yQ=w1600-h900-rw-no-tmp.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back