Yeti GOBOX Collection

Coolers?

dtrkyman

Headed to Montana from Il. mid September for Wapati, I have a 165 and a 100qt, will this be sufficient or should I bring another 165? I will likely have a small 36 qt along as well depending on space, trying to keep from dragging a trailer.

I plan on camping in my Grand Cherokee so that eliminates a lot of camping gear, I have a receiver mounted hauler that one of the big coolers will be, may have to get creative If I kill a large bull!

I have Elk hunted from my Jeep in the past but only had one cooler with, but I was an hour away from a place I could store meat.

A boned out bull elk will fill 2 100qt coolers with some ice blocks. If you stack, cut neatly the coolers you have now should be more than enough to make it happen. Just remember if you are alone, those coolers get heavy quick!

Bone in elk quarters, separated at the knees, backstraps, etc will fit in two, 120 qt coolers. What you have will be fine. Throw some ice in there and give that bull a ride home.

Why don't ya just take what you have (or what conveniently fits) and just buy another one there if you need it.

I may do just that, but I can borrow another 165 so it is of no cost to me, may just use it to store gear in until needed!

Thanks guys

If I was needing to haul an Elk any significant distance, as in more than a days drive, and I had a truck or trailer, I'd consider this idea.
Check with your area appliance dealers, and see if they have a small chest freezer, or a small refrigerator that is broken. (You can lay the frig on it's back)
If it will fit in your truck, you have a pretty well insulated, leak proof box plenty big enough to pack a couple Elk. I'm thinking the insulating value of an appliance may be as good or better than a lot of coolers, and you could probably get one on the cheap.

If I was needing to haul an Elk any significant distance, as in more than a days drive, and I had a truck or trailer, I'd consider this idea.
Check with your area appliance dealers, and see if they have a small chest freezer, or a small refrigerator that is broken. (You can lay the frig on it's back)
If it will fit in your truck, you have a pretty well insulated, leak proof box plenty big enough to pack a couple Elk. I'm thinking the insulating value of an appliance may be as good or better than a lot of coolers, and you could probably get one on the cheap.

There are a lot of guys doing that now where they can either run it on a generator over night to freeze meats or just run it off of an inverter and freeze during transport.

Interesting thought on the chest freezer. I've got an extra one In the garage that Ive been meaning to haul off or give away that I may have found a use for. Thanks for the idea!

We have used the chest freezer and generator method. We install a small nightlight (red bulb to avoid legal issues) in the outlet of the generator, and can see it through the rearview. When the light goes out, we plan on a stop to refuel the generator. When you get home, slide the freezer off of the trailer into the garage and plug it in. No mess no fuss.

I'll second the freezer idea, I bought a non-working chest freezer for like $10 from a local appliance store, it works awesome for hauling meat home. I can fit a quartered elk in mine with room to spare.

One moose cut and vacuum packed, two 100 qt coolers. Frozen in northern BC, I added dry ice to each. Three days later frozen!

Hang it . We hang all of our meat in our garage. Never had a problem even at temps above 50 degrees. Game does benefit from aging, don 't let a butcher tell you otherwise. If you have the right temp and place 7 days would be great, we've hung elk up to 10 + days. It will dry out and form a rind on the outside, that is good. Peel it off when cutting and you'll have great tender steaks and meat. Spouse's cow bison hung 14 days in our garage and she cuts with a fork. Lots of guys bring small freezers out in their trucks so it must work well. You might find a place that would let you plug it in while you're in the field instead of a generator. We usually just hang our game in a tree until we head home. The shade this time of the year is plenty cool.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back