Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Right Helical Fletch for Lefty Shooter?

huntid73

Ok, so I could use some clarification/expertise from the Hunttalkers! I am a left handed shooter, and have always been told that I should not shoot a right helical fletched arrow, but I have also heard that a left helical can cause problems too (I think I have heard a rumor about broadheads unscrewing some). I shoot straight fletchings right now, but want to put a helical fletch on my arrows. Thanks for any help!

I shoot right handed and use left helical . Never heard of broadheads unscrewing due to the helical. They will definitely help with stabilization in flight. However it really doesn't matter which you use, sometimes all I can get are right helical feathers and they work just fine even when using my left helical JoJan multi fletcher.

I'm a lefty. I used to shoot left helical but it is true the tips will loosen often and become a pain. I have shot right helical for many years and no longer have that problem. With modern equipment I don't think it is as critical as it was years ago with 5" feathers/vanes out of recurves and primative compounds.

I am shooting Blazers. I'm not sure how much helical. I'm using a Bitzenberger jig with a right helical clamp. With left helical and the arrow spinning counter clockwise the tips won't completely unscrew just become less than snug more often. If you are shooting a zero contact arrow rest arrow flight will be the same with either left or right helical.

I agree with dexnrex. I bought a left hand Jo Jan multifletcher and am right handed. My bow shot fine and yes, it does help loosen field points a bit, but my practice of putting a stiff string wax on the point threads stops that. In no way will it "unscrew" a point or a broadhead. I shoot Blazers now, but use the shrink fletch ones and haven't glued vanes in many years.

Right hand shooter with 3° right helical on my blazers. My field tips seems to always be a 1/4 turn loose after a shot, but I have never had one totally unscrew itself.

Put wax on them & use a pliers to tighten them & will have no problem. You can shoot right or left doesn't matter.

As long as your helical vanes and/or fletchings (feathers) are all the same (right or left) it makes absolutely no flight difference. An arrow does not rotate noticeably until it is well clear of the bow.

As long as your helical vanes and/or fletchings (feathers) are all the same (right or left) it makes absolutely no flight difference. An arrow does not rotate noticeably until it is well clear of the bow.
True, good post

Im a lefty and have shot right helical for almost 3 decades with good results.

Ive shot rh 1.5 degree blazers from a BPE clamp against rh helical blazers from the arizona mini and i had no difference in groups out to 50 yds.

FWIW - I'm a lefty shooting right helical. Shooting blazers fletched with an arizona EZ fletch. I've had no issues so far. Love the setup.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back