Wolf or Coyote?

Generally speaking, exactly the opposite. People want to believe they saw a wolf. When they are debating back and forth over the little details, it's usually a coyote. If you have to talk yourself into it being a wolf, it's usually a coyote. When it's a wolf, there won't be much doubt.

This one looks coyote to me.

Yes, to a general audience, you are definitely right.. but in the hunter's world we make out the size of wolves to be larger (in our head) sometimes, which is the idea I tried to point out.

I've been trying to convince myself it's a coyote due to the number of opinions that it is one.

There are small wolves out there.

Vote coyote. I have never looked at wolf. Best answer is shoot it. If you are curious, send in DNA samples. Not that curious.

Vote coyote. I have never looked at wolf. Best answer is shoot it. If you are curious, send in DNA samples. Not that curious.

Except if it turns out to be a wolf and not a season, then you are a poacher.

I think wolves have the place in the environment. They eat deer, and elk. Good thing. Damn right, I would shoot the animal. But, I said I thought it was a coyote.

Do not call me a poacher. I am NOT.

Would shoot the animal. It is a coyote; the worst think you can call another hunter is a POACHER. I would say what your are, but I would be banned. You know what you are and embrace it!!!

I think wolves have the place in the environment. They eat deer, and elk. Good thing. Damn right, I would shoot the animal. But, I said I thought it was a coyote.

Do not call me a poacher. I am NOT.

Would shoot the animal. It is a coyote; the worst think you can call another hunter is a POACHER. I would say what your are, but I would be banned. You know what you are and embrace it!!!

Whoa up buddy I didn't call you a poacher I said if you shoot a wolf outside a season then you are a poacher. No different then killing a deer or elk outside a season. Wolves are big game animals with the same rules and regulations.

I you are going to shoot with out knowing 100% what you are shooting at the I guess the results are on you.

Sorry to the OP for the detour. Out.

Last edited:
There is always the possibility of it being a coywolf. I wouldn't imagine this far west though. meet_thecoywolf.jpeg.size.custom.crop.867x650.jpgB9316402830Z.1_20150228175424_000_G3GA36U1F.1-0.jpg I've only personally seen a Coyote/domestic hybrid. I caught it in a #4 bridger and it's paw was almost to big for the trap. Looked like a big coyote with a blocky head. It's fur was much smoother than a fluffy coyote. I took it in and asked they said that it probably was a cross. I'll try to get you some pics of it. That would explain the long skinny legs but blocky head. Also the size.

Last edited:
Better yet, be an ethical hunter, hone your skills and determine what it is *before* you shoot. If you can't make that call, then don't shoot.

When you see a wolf in the wild, there is no question that it may be a coyote, or one of those "coywolfs". Trust me. mtmuley

When you see a wolf in the wild, there is no question that it may be a coyote, or one of those "coywolfs". Trust me. mtmuley

I've read this several times and confess I'm torn between what I *think* was meant and what I *think* it says. The phrase: ". . . there is no question that it may be . . ." could be read two ways. I'm not trying to pick nits or be an asshole. I'm just curious as to which way it was meant.

There is no question, it's a wolf?
or
There is no question it may be a coyote or coywolf?

Sorry. Just looking for some help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back