Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wolf or Coyote?

ERSS

Checked a few cams this weekend and had one trail that was just a predator parade.

What do ya think. Wolf or Coyote?

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,427
Tough to get a read on the head but the tail and legs look coyote imo.

Anything in the picture you can make a height comparison to? Other pictures of it?

My guess would be coyote. As SteveE mentioned the legs look like coyote. Wolves have longer legs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,378
Not any other pics of this critter, but here are a few more from that month for size comparison.....

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,377
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,377
At first glance, I thought wolf...but it was the skinny legs also that got me thinking maybe coyote. Then when I tried to compare size with some other pics....? Definitely wolves in the area....

I'm 60/40 wolf/coyote. Real thin wrists like a yote, but looks to have a pretty thick melon on it like a wolf.

At first glance, I thought wolf...but it was the skinny legs also that got me thinking maybe coyote. Then when I tried to compare size with some other pics....? Definitely wolves in the area....

It's not the skinny legs that makes me think it's a coyote it's that they're so short looking. On the other hand the head posture says wolf to me and overall size compared to your lion says maybe young wolf?
Cool pics! Probably not what you were hoping to see tho.

Wolf, coyote would not be that hairy this time of the year. Judging from the size comparisons it definitely looks like wolf size.

Could be either. Young wolf maybe. Beings it was alone, I doubt it was a wolf though. mtmuley

You guy's coyotes make ours look pitiful. I don't have a clue what that one is.

The white around the muzzle says wolf to me. The size says wolf too. Not a big one. The left front leg looks are perplexing though. Looks smallish. While the other three legs fit the bill of wolf. Wonder if his leg is messed up?

I don't see how that could be a coyote.. Look at the size compared to the other critters and their distance from the camera. I think it's easier to mistake a wolf for a coyote than vice versa

I say young wolf because of the head/markings. Im no wolf expert...but do see a ton of yotes of every size here.

The feet look small to me....that says coyote. the head, however, looks wolfy to me. I am on the fence and no help!

I'd say Coyote too. Based on the slender legs. That got me thinking about a couple of pictures i had on a cam from last year. Any guesses as to what this one is? There really isn't a good angle to look at, but what are your thoughts.

SUNP0037.jpgSUNP0038.jpgSUNP0039.jpg

Back