Wyoming Elk unit 34 question

Hopingforanelk

Brand new to the site so bear with me. I was researching the units in wyoming with leftover cow tags and was wondering if anyone could help. Looking at Unit 34-6 (cow hunt only in National Forest land). Question is how hard the national forest land gets hit?? 34-6 runs from October 15-December 31. Also would things be better early or later in the season.

I've been buying preference points for a couple years but I really want to head out for a cow hunt a few times before we come for a bull hunt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I read that wrong..."valid off national forest land"...looks like a good amount of BLM/State land on the south end of the unit. How about the same questions but not forest land. And yes...I'm from Iowa.

The biologist told me yesterday that that area has no real access to most of the public land. And a few of the ranchers don't want the elk herd lowered so it's hard to hunt anywhere in that area.

The biologist told me yesterday that that area has no real access to most of the public land. And a few of the ranchers don't want the elk herd lowered so it's hard to hunt anywhere in that area.

I have spent some time around that area and the statement above is pretty accurate. IMO, it is a big part of why the Region Y deer tag tends to be a "tourist trap".

That being said, there used to be a ranch on the south end of the unit, that would allow you to pay a trespass to drive up some of their ranch roads onto public. I would get in touch with the Warden in the area. He will probably be your best bet to figuring out some of the tough access. If I were in your shoes, I would focus on areas as far as possible from the NF, the ranches that butt up to it will be locked down the hardest.

Good luck.

There is plenty of BLM public land that's accessible on the south end of 34. I have no idea whether you can get into many elk on those lands, but if you're serious in going and trying send me a PM and I'll give you all the legal public roads down in that entire area that allow access onto that BLM and you can match them up with your GPS/landowner chip that you'll definitely need to stay legal. You'll have a lot of walking and backpacking one out is the only way to do it, but it's doable if you're in good shape.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I tore my meniscus today...so things might be postponed a year. If I make it out I may hit you up topgun. Thanks again to everyone.

Hey all,

I actually just drew this same tag (34-6). I know that this thread is a bit old, but I figured that maybe someone has had some recent experience in the area? This will be my first elk hunt.

Hey all,

I actually just drew this same tag (34-6). I know that this thread is a bit old, but I figured that maybe someone has had some recent experience in the area? This will be my first elk hunt.
How did it go? Ill be looking to do the same thing (34-6 cow tag, valid off NF). I don't have private land secured yet but I have a very good possibility of it. I wanted to get a backup plan just in case. The BLM and State land North of Robinson Canyon looks like there is a walking trail I can acess through. Was wondering what you found, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back