Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Because it's fun

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some would say I need another rifle like I need a kick in the teeth. When Howa calls and asks, "You want to try out the new 6.5 Creedmoor in the Alpine Mountain Rifle?" a guy really doesn't have many options.

I have read/heard a lot of big excitement about the 6.5 Creedmoor. Being happy with my age old friend, the .308 Win, and smiling with my friend of the past two seasons, the 7mm-.08, I never got the bug for a 6.5. Well, after a morning of barrel break-in and pleasure plinking, I can say I am again smitten. When posted, that barrel break-in video will probably show Fin with an unadulterated shooting smile.

I'm not going to write long script about all of its ballistics, etc. I'm just going to proclaim that if ever there is a rifle to own because it's just flat out fun to shoot, this is it.

I hope Nosler can send me a lot of ammo for this one. They told me they plan to fill my vault with 129 grain Accubonds in their Trophy Grade ammo. Hurry, hurry! I can see this one being the "deer/antelope/elk if need be" rifle you will see a lot of in upcoming episodes.

I mounted the Leupold VX-6 scope almost two months ago, we even did a YouTube clip on it. I just never got my schedules prioritized good enough to go out and do a test drive. Further proof that my gray matter is not as healthy as it should be.

We might all struggle for a rationalization to buy a new rifle. Well, here's a good rationale for this rifle and caliber - Because it's fun.

DSC00651.JPG

DSC00649.JPG

Thinking this 6.5 might force my .257 Weatherby and 10+ boxes of factory ammo to get an ad placed on Gunbroker.

Fin,

You just had to go and post this ;), after I spent last weekend trying to talk myself out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Looks about perfect...

Very nice!! I think I could really like that whole package. I use a heavy 260 Rem for pronghorn. IMO, the mid-sized 6.5s are very good...

The best part about one of the medium 6.5s is watching the fur ripple when the round hits. Even with my sub-7lb rifle (scope, mounts, 3rnds included), the recoil is nothing, and I can watch the bullets impact.

Looks like fun Randy! In 2013 I won a Howa .308 identical to the one I used on our hunt in AZ and have yet to fire it :(

I wish Howa would call and ask me that...:rolleyes:
Here in SW VA we call those '6.5 backstraps'.

Back