MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Lee Metcaff access via Cherry creek road?

Pretty sure Greenhorn just referred to me as a dumb guy.:D I guess there is a reason I moved on from the areas I hunted in college. I did see some nice bulls when I hunted the edge of turners and Deckard flats. I haven't been to either spot in almost 10 years.

i have been using my ONX and google earth to try to find places that have roads to them but no roads or trails going through them,, lots of nice looking state land in the area but there are two tracks everywhere and i imagine there will be quads all over the place there.

Rob G -Spanish creek trailhead is what I was referring to. People used to camp there it may no longer be allowed.

Rob G -Spanish creek trailhead is what I was referring to. People used to camp there it may no longer be allowed.
You can still camp at the Spanish Creek trailheads. Last year I put an amazing stalk on what turned out to be a squirrel dropping cones out of a tree. Cherry creek is on the other side of the Flying D and dumps into the Madison.

Last edited:
Rob and I know a way to access near the southern end of the Lee Metcalf Wilderness area, going through a wee bit of US Forest Service. We fought to maintain that access for hunters from an out of state Texas billionaire building his home and garage on the FS166B Road, cutting off access. From Bozeman to Big Sky to HWY 64 to Ridge Back Road to Old Toby Rd. Part of 166B is now called Old Toby Road to FS 166D Rd, which ends at the FS land just south of the North Fork West Fork Gallatin River. There are deer and elk there. Don't shoot Schluters giant metal elk sculpture though. ;)

Some of the FS maps showing 166D connecting to the FS land are on this page. You would be able to utilize the new part of the road Schluter was forced to put in to restore access!

Katqanna - you and Rob are doing some good work. Thank you for staying on this stuff.

Every year a new one of these pops up and many times nothing is done about it.

So, went for a drive and hike last night. I found that all the state land across the river is part of some teaching ranch and apparently not open to hunting? But we went hiking up trail creek in the Beartrap. Got a late start so we only hiked to the top of the canyon rim.. beautiful up there in the evening. People coming down the trail saw a big rattler but we didn't get to see it..

Anyone know if you can go off trail in the Robert M Lee trust lands?

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back