Lee Metcaff access via Cherry creek road?

Not without Turners Permission. There is a trail that takes off at the campground that cuts a few of Turners corners.

It shouldn't be discouraging. It's totally accessible to anybody with legs and feet or horses.

If you could drive there it wouldn't be worth the time. As it is, it is just a bit far for a day hunt at least for me but makes a perfect pack in for the weekend.

I have a nephew by marriage. Stud. I know where he hunts, but it is impossible. He hikes in 15 miles behind a super ranch. He is very successful. Many trophy Barbary and deer. Works at it. The Greenhorn formula. It works, but you gotta to be man to do it!

with only 2 days a week to hunt i need a place i can drive to then hike. hiking in and setting up came for a few days is not an option. can't spend all day driving to get their either. i imagine that's what everyone wants..

Not without Turners Permission. There is a trail that takes off at the campground that cuts a few of Turners corners.
Which campground are you talking about?

Just so there is no confusion, you can get through Turner's land on the east side of the property and hit the Spanish Fork trailhead accesses to Lee Metcaff. You can take the trail though his property but don't even think of hunting it.

with only 2 days a week to hunt i need a place i can drive to then hike. hiking in and setting up came for a few days is not an option. can't spend all day driving to get their either. i imagine that's what everyone wants..

You can drive and hike at night.. ;)

There is a trailhead north of Ennis (Meadow) Lake between the lake and the dam on the Madison. The public access trail cuts through private land, then onto national forest and will take you to Cowboys Heaven, Cherry Creek, and Cherry Lake. It's open to horses and hikers.

If you walk in there, you might find some whitetails in the aspen groves on 16. Long walk for a deer, but you won't be breaking trail. It's accessed by some of the closest trailheads to the town of Bozeman, which is known for having more hunters than anywhere, happy to throw on a backpack. Plus, 8 is the most crowded horse camp section in all of the Madison Range. It's what dumb guys do in the fall.

If you really want to be discouraged, you could look at it from the view that if those roads were open to the public, you could drive in there every night after work, with little to no chance of seeing a whitetail deer.

Last edited:
If you walk in there, you might find some whitetails in the aspen groves on 16. Long walk for a deer, but you won't be breaking trail. It's accessed by some of the closest trailheads to the town of Bozeman, which is known for having more hunters than anywhere, happy to throw on a backpack. Plus, 8 is the most crowded horse camp section in all of the Madison Range. It's what dumb guys do in the fall.

If you really want to be discouraged, you could look at it from the view that if those roads were open to the public, you could drive in there every night after work, with little to no chance of seeing a whitetail deer.

good points..

Rob,
I do not mean to be discouraging. When you get your feet on the ground in bozo and get some maps things will not be as intimidating. I hunted the area that you identified when I lived in Bozeman. It is accessible from either the Madison or Gallatin side and is about 8-9 miles either way. I hunted it effectively in archery season and the first couple weeks of rifle on weekends as long as I had a good friend and or Monday available for packing. leave bozo at 5 hike or ride a horse in Friday night 3-4 hours be in your bivy/tent by 10pm hunt Saturday and Sunday resting up as you don't need to travel far once you are in the area. walk out after the morning hunt and be home for dinner or hunt all day and be in bed by 10. If you kill an elk Sunday bone 1/3 to 1/2 of it stash/hang the rest and your camp and walk out with the meat returning the next day preferably with a buddy for the rest. be cautious later in rifle season as my hunting buddy ended up leaving his whole camp hanging from a tree all winter after a storm dropped a couple feet of snow. There are also lots of places closer to the road that hold elk.

Rob - it is possible to get an elk even on the outskirts of town, but if you can spend another 30-60 minutes driving you are going to have more consistent results. Look for spots an hour or two away where you can hike another 30-60 minutes away from the road. Winter days are short and you can easily crawl out of bed and get in a full day of hunting 100 miles away and be back home for the night. That's the beauty of living out here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back