Wait I thought this didn't happen on state land?

A vast amount of land being overcome quickly by fire would be hard to get under control in an area like that, well, what it looks like to me from across the country anyway. To me, that's just nature doing what nature does, and maybe not necessarily bad management.
I'm not an expert, or know what actually happened...just an opinion.

Mother Nature doesn't discriminate between state, federal, or private land. So dang dry and hot nowadays that anything could burn out west.

So much for the "locals manage and protect the land better theory" behind the federal public land transfer to the states land grab.

Sad part is there is basically zero updates via social media, local news are reporting the other fires but just about nothing on Antelope Island. My guess is because it's self contained and a hand full of buildings that are in no real danger. Suck the animals will suffer a bit, but in a few seasons I'm sure SFW will auction that tag for yet another outstanding profit.

Hopefully these pictures will post also.
image.jpg

Last edited:
For those answering honestly, I think you might have missed the tinge of sarcasm in the OP. ;)

I watched some recently heavily logged private land go up last year, interesting to watch the fire rip through the clearcut and slash and then stop when it hit the neighboring unlogged FS land. Of course that doesn't fit the agenda though

Antelope Island's vegetation's is far from being in "good shape". Large areas of it are dominated by cheatgrass. Hopefully, they'll spend the money and get some timely stabilization and rehab seeding done. The down side is that much of the island is to rough to be drilled so they'll have to resort to aerial seeding. This can work, but it's dependent on adequate and timely moisture.

I noticed in the article they mentioned concern for mule deer, pronghorn and bison, but not sheep. The island is a nursery of sorts for California bighorns and where the state gets quite a few of them for relocation.

Antelope Island's vegetation's is far from being in "good shape". Large areas of it are dominated by cheatgrass. Hopefully, they'll spend the money and get some timely stabilization and rehab seeding done. The down side is that much of the island is to rough to be drilled so they'll have to resort to aerial seeding. This can work, but it's dependent on adequate and timely moisture.

I noticed in the article they mentioned concern for mule deer, pronghorn and bison, but not sheep. The island is a nursery of sorts for California bighorns and where the state gets quite a few of them for relocation.

I hate cheat grass! If you see an animal acting nuts it may not be a disease; it's probably a cheat grass seed in the ear or anus or vagina or urethra or eye or nose or running up the leg from between the toes.

Sure would be a shame to have the auction tag guy have a sub-par "hunt" for his deer

Sure would be a shame to have the auction tag guy have a sub-par "hunt" for his deer
What's really a shame is that for the same price they bought Antelope Island for, the state could have purchased ~250,000ac of very prime habitat that within the past decade contained roughly 1/4 of all the counted sage grouse in the entire state.

Strange, there's lots of BLM trucks fighting these fires....wonder if state politicians will thank them for their help, or continue pushing their republican ideology.

Strange, there's lots of BLM trucks fighting these fires....wonder if state politicians will thank them for their help, or continue pushing their republican ideology.

At the very least reimburse the tax payers outside of Utah for the cost of allowing the BLM to assist, and probably USDA since they have most of the fire bomber contracts.

At the very least reimburse the tax payers outside of Utah for the cost of allowing the BLM to assist, and probably USDA since they have most of the fire bomber contracts.
I'm guessing that's where there are Inter-agency fire fighting agreements in place. My guess is the reason for more BLM fire trucks are on that incident is that there are way more of them than state crews. The majority of the state crews I encountered were hand crews. Engines would probably much more effective on a place like Antelope Island than a hand crew...

I'd like to see some of the sheds that the fire fighters pack off that place!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back