Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Eastern Colorado Cow Elk?

Sainte_Terrer

Please pardon me for being such a total noob---

I've never hunted CO but am interested in taking a cow elk. I figure it would be a good introduction, more accessible, and still very rewarding. I am a meat hunter first and a horn hunter second. My question is this: is elk hunting in eastern Colorado viable? Obviously more elk and more land are available in the central and western portions of the state. However, I am trying to minimize my travel time from Kansas and I don't have a 4x4 vehicle. I would prefer to use a rifle if possible.

I don't need specific locations as I can do that research on my own. I'm more interested in whether such a trip is worthwhile. In this case, I would also presume (possibly erroneously?) that OTC tags are available? :confused:

Many thanks!

How far West is too far? I've lived and hunted in Colorado my entire life, mostly west of the continental divide. I don't know much about Southern Colorado, but you have to get up into the mountains to see any elk up North. Also, depending on the season you hunt and the unit, an OTC cow tag might not be available and a 4x4 vehicle is a must.

I suspect you are talking "plains" elk, Sept 1 to Jan 31? East of I-25 If so it's high fence I think, not free range animals. There are patches of public land but I've never heard of elk on them. I'd be real happy if CO eliminated high fence. I support anyone who enjoys doing that kind of thing, but not so enthusiastic about it in my state.

I like cow too, tastes better.

I suspect you are talking "plains" elk, Sept 1 to Jan 31? East of I-25 If so it's high fence I think, not free range animals. There are patches of public land but I've never heard of elk on them. I'd be real happy if CO eliminated high fence. I support anyone who enjoys doing that kind of thing, but not so enthusiastic about it in my state.

I like cow too, tastes better.

huh? Where exactly would those 'high fences' be? The only fences I know of are on the ranches that they are on where the ranchers won't let people hunt, but they'd be pretty pissed if their cows were in a 'high fence'...

There used to be some elk hunting in the corn fields in eastern Colorado. Don't know the units but there were good bulls there years ago. I would make some calls to the area game and parks people. No high fences there. They were all plains animals at one time guys.

I originally typied something witty and insulting, but decided not to for a glorified newb. The ranch in question that you linked to is a private place that wouldn't be an issue with the plains tag. Have a nice day.

To the OP. There's rumored to be a small herd down around Kim, but good luck getting access to any of the property.

Last edited:
. . . you have to get up into the mountains to see any elk up North.

I don't know about licenses, but I do know of some wild elk east of I-25 in Northern Colorado. It's been a few years but I've seen some on the Pawnees and I know of a private ranch that has wild elk on it but I don't want to pin point it. These aren't private elk. Don't know if there is a season there or not.

Many years ago an outfitter was selling corn field elk hunts on the plains. They are there.

I have a friend that him and his father both took bulls out of Purgetorie (sp?) canyon south of La Junta a couple of years ago. He told me it was a freak thing and it was the first time he actually laid eyes on elk in there, but he hasn't seen any since. We've been in a brutal drought in this area for years and along with effecting the antelope, it's also screwing with the resident elk. In all honesty, I've lived in this area (eastern plains east of Pueblo) for 10 years and have yet to see any elk. If you're going to spend the money on an elk tag, I wouldn't suggest this one, even though it's an OTC either sex C tag.

Last edited:
I believe elk have been killed in the Texas Panhandle. I know it is rare, but if they are in Texas; they are coming from eastern Colorado or NE quadrant of New Mexico.

Back