Subaru experiences/words of wisdom

Wild Bill

My fiancé is going to need a new(er) vehicle soon and we've been looking and driving some Jeep Grand Cherokees. We stopped and looked at some Subarus that she really liked the other day and will be test driving one today. I've never owned/driven one but I have done research and they seem to be dependable and hold their value well. Not to mention you can buy a new 2016 for less than a 2012 Jeep with 60k miles. The only downsides are that they don't have a lot of muscle (not a big deal to her or I) and they can be expensive for repairs. Anyone on here have any experience or words of wisdom? Looking specifically at the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek.
Thanks guys.

I see lots of jeep grand Cherokees broken down by the side of the road. Saw 2 yesterday with tow stickers on them when on a fishing trip in the mountains here. Plenty of recalls on the Jeeps these days, not so with the Sooobies.

Never had one myself but know several folks that do. Outbacks & Foresters.
Don't know about that one.
I'm in the tried and true club and if they have been made for a couple years, fine.
Had a GF with a Forester and we drove to CA & back.Nice,but not overly peppy.
I put a RMEF & PETA/people eating tasty animal stickers on it so I wouldn't look like a dufus in Flagstaff.............she loved it. A horsey/hippy gal.lol
We took it places I would take my Tacoma,minus the brush scrapes.

I have 2 hunting buddies with Outbacks that take them on hunts.Both are covered in scratches,blood stains, hunt stickers and jokes about lesbarus..... lol.

I see quite a bit of them here where I live in NM. Ranchers cars. Less likely to get stuck than the F-350...
I'd get a Outback if I had $ or needed a car.

Last edited:
I've never heard any complaints about Subarus from people I know that own them. My friends son is 13 and calls his moms subaru a liberal wagon.��

I've never heard any complaints about Subarus from people I know that own them. My friends son is 13 and calls his moms subaru a liberal wagon.��
LOL,the GF did look better in her F-350,or at least more outdoorsy.

I've owned 3 of the newer Cherokees, and 3 subarus. Daughter has a Grand Cherokee so that's 4 I'm familiar with.
More room in the Jeep but either will haul an Elk back home. Semi older Subies need the timing belts changed at regular intervals and if in a front end collision, the motor will be toast if the valve cover gets hit. Can't speak to a new Subie but I would buy one without a 2nd thought, especially if you get snow.

we have had 3, 2013 forrester, 2014 forrester, and a 2015 outback,,,,,, after all the problems we had with all 3 and the lack of support from the dealership in BI------ where we bought them, i wouldnt take a free one,

no power from the non turbo ones, gas mileage not even close to advertised, oil consumption issues, like 1 quart every 1000-1800 miles 26 mpg average hwy mileage, my wife commutes 90 miles a day virtually all 65-70 mph, all 3 ave 26to 27 not close to the 31 advertised,,,, dealer says that kind of oil consumption is normal, a/c not the coldest, unless your skinny not the most room,

we now havea 2008 tahoe, 18 mpr O oil use in 5000 miles oil changes, plenty room, comfortable on long trips, a/c will run you out of it, fold down the rear seat and 2 of us can lay in the back and sleep,,,,,

we got hosed on all 3 trading them in at the dealer also,,,,, guess i am a slow learner, i kept thinking each newer model would be better,,,,,,

I had a subaru for quite a few years. In the winter I would throw some blizzaks on it. It did better in the snow than any truck I've owned.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Was looking for something better in the snow and with more cargo space for travelling without having to take the truck all the time. Drove lots of SUVs, the Outback and the Forester. Didn't like the way the Forester handled so much, but liked the Outback so bought that. Two years later, I absolutely love it! I get about 29 mpg. It is wonderful in the snow. Took a Christmas trip around Montana with it, from NE MT over through Great Falls, Helena, Bozeman, Lewistown and back. Lots of snow, zero trouble. Tons of room, though with the dog (a Lab) in the back we add a cargo box on the roof for long trips. I've had zero problems with it so far.

If you go that route, Placer Subaru in Helena was great to deal with.

Yeah, by my rough count I am on Suby 6. Great cars in the snow. Reliable. Hold their value well and should get 200K miles with proper care.

If she gets a Subaru, that means you have to grow a manbun and buy some berkenstocks :W:

Yep, to drive a Lesbaru you also need to wear skinny jeans, North Face jacket, have a = sticker on it, Bernie 2016 sticker, weed leaf sticker, the list goes on and on....

I don't know about Subaru but my sister-in-law and her husband love jeep for some reason even though they have had nothing but problems with them, several of them. They are only used for city driving, no off-roading other than 500 foot dirt road to their house. All have been grand cherokees.

Several auto mechanics have told me that across the board the costs for Jeep parts are more expensive than other makes.

My wife has had two of 4cyl Outbacks. A 04 and a 14. Anything prior to a 2014 had a timing belt which wore out every 100k. And the timing belt replacement was around $800-$1200. The 2014 and newer have a timing chain which should last the life of the car. The 4cyl will average about 26-29 mphs in the mountains. They can literally go anywhere unless it gets high-centered. My wife has pulled my 2500 Silverado 4wd out twice when I did something stupid and got stuck in deep/heavy snow. They are very balanced, well built cars. They are fairly easy to fix minor repairs on, but have a dealership change the lights when they go out (difficult to switch bulbs in headlights). I'm impressed with Subaru's and they make a car that will be on the road for 300k with regular maintenance.

Take a Subaru any day ! On our 3rd. Had 2 Full size jeeps back in day. one was in garage more than I used it. CRAP, but that was many years ago. Sub will go anywhere there is ground clearance!

I have a 2012 suburb outback have had it 18 months and love it awesome in any weather took it to Colorado elk hunting last year handled the dirt roads in the San Juans very well . I have put 36,000 miles on it and have had zero issues. I love mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I avg about 28 mpg .

I will also add that an elk rack strapped to the roof of an Subaru will look much larger than the same elk rack in the back of a pickup. Not that that matters...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back