Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tikka T3x

beginnerhunter

I bought a synthetic stainless version chambered in .308. It was $710 after taxes and fees. I bought a Leopold Vx3i 3.5-10x40mm duplex CDS. It was $364. I bought Talley rings to mount it. It isn't mounted yet.

Right now I intend to try hornady sst superformance 165 gr and Nosler trophy grade accubond 165gr and see which groups best. Then I will order more of the preferred ammo and contact Leopold for the customized dial.

The rifle feels nice in the hand. It has a soft recoil pad and a smooth action. The only weird thing is the safety sort of looks crooked. It works fine it just looks off a bit. I've googled images and they all kinda look weird so idk. I may compare it to the ones in stores. Mine was ordered from a dealer friend.

Will post pics once mounted and maybe some groups after I shoot it.

I also have a new T3x, but 30-06. New scope should be on the way to me by now, (right Pat?) :) Putting a 4.5-14x40 VX3i with B&C ret. on mine. Have some different bullets and powder also. Looking fwd to getting some bullet holes to touch! I hope

Oh, and yes, the safety is kinda weird how it sticks up, and rocks down and fwd when on fire.

I was not impressed with the new recoil pad at all. And this rifle is very fussy with what it likes for bullets. Overall not much difference between the t3 and the x. But the steel recoil lug was badly needed.

Here are some pics. The scope is just on there for illustrative purposes. It hasn't been properly mounted yet.

The plastic mag feels pretty cheap. Wonder why somebody hasn't made a better one. Getting anxious to shoot it.

Attachments

• 20160726_211932.jpg
    20160726_211932.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 20160726_212040.jpg
    20160726_212040.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 702
  • 20160726_212106.jpg
    20160726_212106.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 756
I have 2 Tikka's and agree the plastic mag seems sort of light duty. Never had any issues with them. I'm guessing it was part of the design to keep the total weight down. The safety is definitely different than any other bolt action guns I have. Not a fan of it, but both of my Tikkas shoot well, so I hunt with them almost exclusively.

Great choice. The only thing I have to say, is to stay away from the SSTs. They are flimsy crap. Go with the standard Interlock, if you are going to shoot Hornadys. The SST bullets would be great for prairie dogs and ground hogs.

Unless you just like spending money, Winchester, Remington and Federal all make good ammo that does not break the bank. You do not need a premium bullet at .308 velocities.

Great choice. The only thing I have to say, is to stay away from the SSTs. They are flimsy crap. Go with the standard Interlock, if you are going to shoot Hornadys. The SST bullets would be great for prairie dogs and ground hogs.

Unless you just like spending money, Winchester, Remington and Federal all make good ammo that does not break the bank. You do not need a premium bullet at .308 velocities.

I just wanted to say I have had very good luck and very quick kills on deer with .308 150g SST bullets. bought the 165s also but they didn't shoot very accurately in my rifle. I wouldn't use them on elk sized game but for deer they have been great in my experience. I've shot 3 mature whitetails with them. 2 dropped where they stood the 3rd went about 15 yards. For deer, I think the SST is great. last year I was shooting 180g Partitions in my .308 because I had them and they were shooting dime sized groups out of My T/C Icon. Obviously they are deadly on game. If you can find some partitions I'd try those as well, for some reason they seem to be the most accurate bullet out of my gun. I also agree you don't need the premium ammo so the federal fusions and green box rem and all the less expensive stuff is worth looking at too.

Yeah I'm going to buy some cheaper ammo for practice. I have always hunted with cheap ammo but thought I would try something different. But no, I won't be shooting boxes of Nosler ammo at the range on the reg, haha.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back