Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need help planning a bucket list hunt.

sigpros

My wife and I are almost at the 15 year mark. We have both wanted to hunt Alaska. Her for black bear me for Sitka blacktails. Where do I start? Is POW the way to go? The misses would like to stay in a cabin she's not much into the camping thing. I've never hunted where I had to fly before, how do you get the meat home? Is it expensive to fly it back? Is this something we could do DIY? What gear is a must for Alaska? I see the tags have jumped but it is what it is.

Thanks for getting me started.

POW will work, you could also boat hunt out of Ketchikan or other towns in the southeast. Forest service cabins are available, some have boats with them, but for a dedicated boat hunt you might want to rent something larger. There are packers who will freeze the meat and ship it back to you or if you can line up a freezer you can freeze it and ship it back yourself, we've also frozenit and brought it back on the plane with us.

Thank you. I have never hunted where I couldn't drive and bring coolers etc so it's all a little intimidating to me. I want to get a nice buck for a mount but I'm a meat Hunter first and foremost and I have heard that blacktails are tastey little buggers

It seems kodiak is maybe better for deer hunting? But the wife isn't sure about the Bears. Those foxes have my attention. As a trapper and predator Hunter I love taking new fur

Kodiak would be a better couple hunt for deer, I've hunted it plenty of times with my dad when I was younger. The terrain is not like the rain jungle you'd find in the southeast. Brown bears to hunt on Kodiak require a guide or next of kin hunting with you that is a resident of AK, not to mention a draw tag. But Kodiak will probably cost you more as you will want to stay in a cabin or guide camp unless you have a top of the line tent for severe weather. We hunted out of an arctic oven tent all of our times, the winds can easily get 50-70 mph on the island, as well as the longer ferry/plane ride and the float plane out to your camp.

I might be doing a similar hunt next year on POW, if I draw a fall bear tag.

From my research, POW is one of the more DIY friendly Alaska destinations. I've heard the blacktail hunting is great on Kodiak, but of course no black bears there.

She doesn't want to hunt brown Bears, she doesn't want them hunting us��. I don't mind renting a cabin or even doing the transporter thing if I could find a good one. Being around those bears I would need to bring a bigger stick for sure. Would love to stack some fox up with the 17 remington. Where can I find the legal rifles/calibers for Alaska? Their dang game and fish website is harder to navigate than wyomings and I didn't think that was possible. What's an average shot distance on blacktails?

I shot some foxes with steel shot while hunting sea ducks.

Attachments

• 20151205_100945.jpg
    20151205_100945.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 360
  • 20151208_131740.jpg
    20151208_131740.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 352
If you were wanting to do a combination black bear/sitka blacktail hunt, POW is the obvious choice as there are no black bears on Kodiak Island. I've hunted Kodiak three times for sitka blacktails (most recently last fall, look my hunt report titled Back from Kodiak) and it is an amazing hunt, especially with the fox as an added bonus. There are refuge cabins on Kodiak that can be rented (helps ease the mind at night knowing what is prowling outside); however, you usually have to hike at least a mile to get into some good hunting as the area around the cabins get pounded pretty hard. I've also fished POW several times and have several friends who have hunted deer and bear. As a reference, my Kodiak trip cost me $2250 and I could have shaved off another couple hundred dollars if we hadn't rented a rig for duck hunting. If you would like to talk, please PM me.

Glass eye those are some awesome foxes. Would love to get one like the top one. Elkrchr and Gut shot PM's sent. Thank you

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back