Decoy painting/flocking

skimerhorn

Anybody have any tips on how to bring some old decoys back to life? I have some goose shells I want to fix up

Attachments

• 20160719_175401.jpg
    20160719_175401.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 402
I've done some flocking of heads before it's pretty easy but a hell of a mess. Google flocking, if memory serves me well you paint with flat rust o leum and dust the heads with flocking stuff.

Never tried geese or flocking. Did some mallards back in college it was fun and I got another season or two out of them.

If I remember correctly there's some paint codes people have figured out that you can take to Walmart/Home Depot to make sure you're getting the right colors. Try a Google search.

They won't look as good as brand new. But they'll be a lot cheaper.

I would make sure the blacks/whites were touched up to give that contrast difference with the field you were planning to hunt. Flocking will look good and take some shine off the head, but I feel the contrast is more important so that geese will see your spread.

Anybody have any tips on how to bring some old decoys back to life? I have some goose shells I want to fix up

I have painted some duck decoys in the past to make diver duck decoys and it is a chore and quite messy.

I would get a sander and sand, sand, sand.

Add a primer preferably a plastic primer to the sanded decoys.

Let Dry and Repeat (I prefer many light coats, rather than one big bulky coat)

Add a base coating with a truck bed liner in Black, White, or Tan. (Flat colors, stay away from gloss & shine)

Let Dry and Repeat (You do not want it thin or too thick)

Then paint in the colors that you want to shape the decoy. (Save the Detail for the next step)

Let Dry and Repeat

Detail the decoy (Only use one color at a time and let it dry before moving onto the next one)

Fingernail polish worked for the eyes for me (Isn't necessary is geese with black eyes, but gives goldeneyes golden eyes)

Add a flat matte clear coat over the finished product.

Let Dry and Repeat

With Diver decoys I don't think I will go through this process again, because I think if I painted a milk jug filled with spray foam - black and white they would come in (With exception of Goldeneyes who like to land with their own)

I think decoys are a lot like Camo. It is to look cool in front of humans, more than it is to look good in front of geese. Outlines and shapes matter more than colors on the decoy IMO. I do think that flocking would be better than painting, but painting can be a great product to undertake - especially if you can be proud of your workmanship afterwards.

If the bodies are all in the same shape as the one above I wouldn't do anything to them. Painting the bodies is a pain and requires an air brush. For your heads the easiest thing to do is get a flocking kit that comes with all the stuff for how ever many decoys you plan to do.

https://www.fowlflocker.com/Goose_Flocking_Kits.php

Buy a couple of cases of beer and invite some friends over for a flocking party and get an assembly line started.

We have reflocked and painted cheek patches on hundreds of goose decoys over the years and getting a few buddies together to do it way more efficient.

Nemont

I got some paint that supposedly bonds to plastic good, so I'm gonna try my hand at painting them. I watched a couple YouTube videos on it. If they turn out decent I'm gonna flock the heads

Like I said, buy a flocking kit, if memory serves me it said to use flat white and black rust o leum, you paint a good coat on and apply the flocking material. Just do the heads.

Back