Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Suggestion for future episodes....

Brad Daniel

Randy, you have a hell of a following because for the most part, you keep it real.

How about an episode where you leave the rifle at home and take some kids hunting? Extra doe antelope tags in Wyoming or even some cow elk?

They are the future....

This has been asked before and Randy has indicated that sponsors aren't willing to pay for advertising on a doe/ cow hunt since it doesn't attract the same level of viewership. With that said, Randy has taken his son on a couple hunts when he was still pretty young and on the flip side took a couple old timers out whitetail hunting in Montana. I still love the old timers hunt and I can only hope that someone would do that for me one day.

Randy, you have a hell of a following because for the most part, you keep it real.

How about an episode where you leave the rifle at home and take some kids hunting? Extra doe antelope tags in Wyoming or even some cow elk?

They are the future....

How about a bison hunt . Cow or bull, cows are more wary in Wyoming.

rosavelts out here in Oregon would be interesting,,,though camera footage may be hard to get through the jungle canopy of western Oregon,,its always shady and dark when they are on the move it seems

I dont understand the business aspect of sponsorship but I would think the sponsors would like to have a show that would appeal to the younger viewers. The kids see it on tv and the next thing you know they want to do it. When asking mom and dad to go hunting they also want to use the products seen on the show.

They are the future....

I think a sage grouse hunt with this would be very doable.

Preface the hunt with a bit of the history of the sage grouse, the dangers of losing the sage grouse habitat, and things that are being done to conserve the sage grouse and the habitat.

Make the story around the sage grouse and how we must preserve the habitat for the next generation of hunters.

This has been asked before and Randy has indicated that sponsors aren't willing to pay for advertising on a doe/ cow hunt since it doesn't attract the same level of viewership. With that said, Randy has taken his son on a couple hunts when he was still pretty young and on the flip side took a couple old timers out whitetail hunting in Montana. I still love the old timers hunt and I can only hope that someone would do that for me one day.

This makes sense. What are the costs to do one episode? I agree with the old timers. Just as much fun as kids.

What are the costs to do one episode? ........

We have one of the most expensive formats out thereally, self-guided public land hunts that take many days for each episode. That said, all costs considered, average episode cost is about $25,000.

This has been asked before and Randy has indicated that sponsors aren't willing to pay for advertising on a doe/ cow hunt since it doesn't attract the same level of viewership.
Now that we're experimenting more with digital exclusives, this is a bit more doable, the only problem is that we would have to do it as an additional episode, not a replacement for one of the currently planned buck/bull hunts. As discussed, it isn't cheap to do and we're already running at close to full speed with all we have going on.

Randy, would it be possible at the beginning of each show to display the conditions and the equipment of each episode (ie. weather, temp, elevation, general area, rifle used, caliber, bullet type, optics used, special equipment etc.) Bill Dance used to do this on his fishing shows at some point during the show and I always thought it was great. I know you are starting to give a recap of some of these thing on you tube after the episodes air, but I think it would be great if it was flashed on the screen "live" during the show. Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

Randy,

Watched the NM archery Antelope tonight; excellent. It's good to show you don't always notch a tag.

Would love to see a sheep hunt so good luck on drawing in the future.

Randy,

Watched the NM archery Antelope tonight; excellent. It's good to show you don't always notch a tag.

Would love to see a sheep hunt so good luck on drawing in the future.

Thanks. I wish all comments were like yours when we show hunts there no tags get filled.

Yeah, I like that sheep hunting idea you mention. Hopefully MT FWP is reading this thread and they will see that I draw a tag next year.

We have done two of them in the past, though they were not my tags.

[video=youtube_share;yWRXB3Z4kCA]https://youtu.be/yWRXB3Z4kCA[/video]

I would love to see a mountain lion hunt with dogs. Something that most of us will never have the chance to do. I am sure there are dog hunters on site. Might work!

Thanks. I wish all comments were like yours when we show hunts there no tags get filled.

Yeah, I like that sheep hunting idea you mention. Hopefully MT FWP is reading this thread and they will see that I draw a tag next year.

We have done two of them in the past, though they were not my tags.

[video=youtube_share;yWRXB3Z4kCA]https://youtu.be/yWRXB3Z4kCA[/video]

I have to admit I like seeing a tag get filled, but as long as the episode has excitement that's all that maters. and this archery antelope tag had plenty of excitement for me. really thought you had him there at the end.

I've had many an exciting hunt where I never pulled the trigger on my bow or gun. don't need to see blood to get the adrenaline going

Would be a change-up to see you go after AZ or NM Coues or CA or OR blacktails or OR or WA Rosies. Aoudad in NM. All these can be on public. I never tire of the elk, mulies and pronghorn with the bonus of a bison, sheep or goat when the tag gods cooperate. Sprinkling in a new species each season would be something that would grab my attention since most of us can hunt for years and not hunt the species that are only found in a small portion of the West.

As for what sponsors want, that is a part of having a business that needs each revenue stream in order to have the numbers mostly pencil out. Sometimes a curve ball works when looks odd on paper. The Shockey episodes with his father and father-in-law where some of the more entertaining outdoor footage I have seen though normally I would have zero interest watching an episode of a hunter sitting in a blind hunting whitetails over presumably corn kernels or anyone driving roads glassing for black bear. I normally would not watch any hunting episode twice but found myself revisiting those episodes since the old guys bantering back and forth reminded me of people I have crossed paths with over the years. Definitely not educational about hunting but was entertaining and educational about life and loyalty.

Would you ever consider doing an episode or youtube episode dedicated to trapping? I think that would be an enjoyable episode. I remember listening to one of the podcasts and if I recall I thought Randy said he traps for a week or 2 weeks each year? A trapping episode would be interesting, a change-up of sorts and would be a rarity, other than F&T's show and MeatEater once or twice. Even a waterfowl episode would be a good watch!

Back