Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

270 vs 270wsm vs 30-06

bhuntin

Looking at future rifle and wanted some opinions. Here is a little background. Mostly hunt Midwest whitetail but planning yearly or every other year trips west elk, mule deer, or antelope. I don't plan on shooting past 300 yards as I feel this is my effective range at this time.

In my opinion shot placement is top issue rather than bigger bullet. Should I go with 270 or 06 because ammo is less expensive and easier to find? If I could get a deal on WSM is it worth it over the other two? What is recoil of WSM compared to 06? Is added energy of WSM or 06 than much greater than 270 given good shot placement? Any other thoughts?

Not really looking for other caliber options just opinions on these. Thanks for the help guys.

Recoil is a moot point unless you are comparing identical rifles with different chamberings.

If you don't reload stick with the 06 family. From there the 30-06 will give you a greater selection of bullets and ammunition which for me, gives it the edge over the 270.

If this will be your main hunting rifle go for the 30-06 ,it will do it all. The 270wsm is a great round but ammo is more diffacult to find and pricey.

I own all three of those and I would probably rank them based on your post at 1) 30/06 2) .270 win 3) 270 wsm

I would also throw in 7mm rem mag. Recoil like the 06, trajectory flatter than a .270.

Personally, I'm a .270 fan but the 06 has more options on larger game. I'd do the 7rem mag before the short mag.

Id rank the cartridges like others 06, .270, then the short mag. Otherwise I'd recommend you consider the rem mag as the hybrid of all od them.

Hard to beat a 30-06. Hard to beat a 270 too. I'd find the gun I wanted to get and see what caliber I could find it in and go from there.

Answers in blue.

Should I go with 270 or 06 because ammo is less expensive and easier to find?

Depends on where you live and what you have available for sporting goods stores.

If I could get a deal on WSM is it worth it over the other two?

Depends on how good of a deal, and how hard/expensive it will be to get ammo in your locale. I doubt it will kill any deader.

What is recoil of WSM compared to 06?

Depends a lot on bullet weight and stock design.

Is added energy of WSM or 06 than much greater than 270 given good shot placement? Any other thoughts?

Energy doesn't kill, a wound channel through the vitals kills.

Not really looking for other caliber options just opinions on these. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks for all the great responses guys. You all more or less summed up what I have been thinking all along. I think I should just stick with the 06 or 270. The last few years I've been using my wife's gun Tika T3 lite in 7mm08, its awesome and a tack driver. That gun should do everything I need it to do, but like I said its hers not mine. So I'm leaning toward another Tika or Savage in 116 or 111. I've been a Rem guy for a long time but really like the Tika and the few Savages I've handled I prefer the safety over the Rem. Just waiting to find right gun for right deal.

Thanks again for all the input.

I went through this very process a few yrs ago. I settled on the 30-06 in the Tikka T3 superlite from sportsmans warehouse. I have yet to be disapointed. Ive owned and killed whitetails with 6 or 7 different calibers and really the 06 is the best all around cartridge Ive found for my uses. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Given your needs, I would get a .270. It is probably the best deer cartridge available and will take elk cleanly if you use the right bullets. You really can't go wrong with any of the listed calibers but the .270 will kick the least, will kill anything and ammo is just as available as the 06. The 06 is great, but my argument for the .270 is that it shoots flatter and kicks less. This is important especially if your making longer shots at smaller critters like deer or antelope and don't know the exact range. I'm not a huge fan of the WSM cartridges although you get a shorter action gun. The ammo doesn't feed as well and I don't really see a huge advantage in a .270 vs a .270wsm. Good luck

Since you like the 7-08, why not just buy another one? It will do anything that you need it to and you can most likely use the same ammo in both. Otherwise, I would also pick the 30-06. If you do not reload, ammo availability/cost is a big factor to being able to practice enough and the 06 is at the top of the list for selection/availability.

30.06 gets my vote. Very versital for western big game. My Ruger and Smith and Wesson 30.06's are great at 300 yards. Although I personally wouldn't push em much farther with the current scopes they are fitted with.

I went with the 30-06 about 40 yrs ago and no regrets.
Same reasons, & still use the same rifle every year. Rem. 700
300-400 is about it's limit with a 6" field grouping for me. I love having a 2" group at 200 consistantly.
My 30-30 kicks way harder.

Of the options you posed, I'd pick the 30-06 as well for all the reasons stated. That said, I'd not overlook a 308 either for the same task. To 300yds I doubt you or the game will notice any difference between any of them. As was suggested, pick the rifle that feels right and go from there.

+1 on just getting another 7mm/08. You're already accustomed to hunting with one, so why change? A 270 or 06 won't kill a deer/Lope/elk any deader than the 7mm will.

All great calibers but my vote goes to the 06! A cartridge that has disputably taken more game than any other cartridge in north america. It can kill anything in N america and you have such a wide verity of factory ammo that's available in almost every hunting store

Back