Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Research/Scouting

Brn2hnt

Now that Idaho draws are out, I have finally been able to put together some more solid plans for my WY general tag. I've got two main areas that I have been looking at based on hunter success, availability of any elk on a general tag (should mean over population objectives,) hunter success rates, and prevalence of wilderness areas. I've so far been able to get a hold of two biologists, with more phone calls to follow.

My plan is to take off work this Friday noonish and arrive sometime that night to a campground in western Wyoming around which I have several likely roads and ridges to check out, then Sunday head over to south central WY to check another unit. What i mean by checking out a road is how passable it is to vehicles as often times a road may show up on a map but not be heavily traveled due to condition. Probably old hat to everyone on here but it was a definite lesson for me this last weekend in ID.

My general question is: is there anything worth noting about either western or south central WY that I wouldn't be able to tell from a map or statistics? The unit I am looking at in south central WY seems to have a ton more pressure, but has a better success ratio as well. Also worth noting my first trip will be with a bow in early September, so hopefully pressure will be much less severe. Pm's fully appreciated if appropriate. Thanks and good luck to everyone and have a safe 4th!

Mike

I'm over in Cheyenne and hunt general areas when I don't draw a limited quota tag and usually focus all my hunting in south central Wyo, and as you can imagine I didn't draw a dang thing this year so I'll be in that neck of the woods again. I tend to stick to archery only due to the pressure aspect, during archery season you can expect to see people at camps and what not but I've rarely came across other hunters while back in the timber. Hunting is usually predicted by our spring time weather, we had a super wet spring and no fires so far in that area so I'm crossing my fingers it'll be a bumper year. The big thing to note is the dead fall, there are a ton of downed tress that makes things difficult but on the flip side it keeps the faint of heart from entering too far into the timber. Along with that being said, don't bring any wood! Just cut and burn from your camp site. As far as road travel here in south central wyo, depending on what area you're going to, it's generally fair to good. If you have a 4x4 or ATV you'll be good during archery season, but be prepared to hike back in a ways. Another tip is don't be afraid to stop in and chat with others in their camps, all of us locals are usually around a fire with a cold beverage chatting about the day anyway so just stop in and strike up a conversation about the area, elk and so on. You never know, you might just come across a resident such as myself that has a resident guides license and can help you get access to the wilderness areas. All in all, archery season is the only way to go, better hunting, better weather and a significant less amount of people. If you have any other questions or concerns or just want to chat just drop a line. Good luck!

"J"

Having now driven across most of I80 in WY, I must say I am dissapointing with their radio selection. I was hoping for a channel with Ledoux on repeat, but the only station playing "country" was playing a Jason Aldean song. Hopefully the mountains and coming daylight bring improvement. Will see if I can get some decent spotting scope photos.

Mike

If I was you I would just focus all my resources on 1 zone, learn it inside and out both land and critters. If it's southcentral or wherever it doesn't matter learning the area will pay off long term and will be a better use of the most important resource we all have: TIME. Then next season pick a different area if you wish and then you have something to compare it to and start building you knowledge, just my thoughts on it.

C

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back