Caribou Gear

Montana Elk Hunt - Now Live, ONLY ON YOUTUBE!

I predict the masses converting to this format of shows. Genius with the links. Advertisers will get more than their share of "bang for their buck" which is great. Congrats on the first of many!

You would be surprised how few people have seen the light regarding You Tube and digital marketing specifically.

The industry has been run by the network for many years and they are not comfortable with change. Old advertising principals are hard to shake for many companies that have become comfortable with print and TV only.

When companies and outdoor personalities finally realize they need to change and go more digital, guys like Randy will be so far out ahead of the pack for getting in on this early.

Free....available any time, any place on multiple devices and caters to the younger consumer....hard to figure out what is taking everyone so long? Great job Randy, loved the video.

Nope, I don't know. One guy climbed up the mountain, grabbed an ATV, then came down and started hauling the bull back up the mountain. I called who I thought was the landowner, but turned out to be the wife of the neighboring landowner. Later in the day, I called the husband and he said his neighbor was not home that weekend and the hunters were now gone.

So some cross country ATV travel on top of it, ugh :rolleyes:

Great bull, congrats. That's some awesome looking elk country and you did a great job of showing how it all can just suddenly come together.

Awesome episode Randy. Thanks for putting it out there.

That moment where you are in the timber and on the run, made me feel like I was there and is a moment that has played out on a lot of my own elk hunts.

Great show!! I always enjoy your episodes. It was a nice bonus to see on my dvr list a new episode with the leupold ceo. got to watch two shows last night.

That moment where you are in the timber and on the run, made me feel like I was there and is a moment that has played out on a lot of my own elk hunts.

That's useful feedback. I've received two emails, well one email and on FB message, that the camera work was terrible. I didn't even bother to reply. If they only knew what it takes to do this. Maybe they hunt in a different manner where all the critters come walking in and pose for the camera.

Appreciate that comment. My personal opinion was that the grittier style fits better for digital. At times, I think the OYOA show almost over-produced some segments and we lost a bit of that feel. We did a better job with Fresh Tracks and I hope to make even better with our YouTube episodes.

That's useful feedback. I've received two emails, well one email and on FB message, that the camera work was terrible. I didn't even bother to reply. If they only knew what it takes to do this. Maybe they hunt in a different manner where all the critters come walking in and pose for the camera.

Appreciate that comment. My personal opinion was that the grittier style fits better for digital. At times, I think the OYOA show almost over-produced some segments and we lost a bit of that feel. We did a better job with Fresh Tracks and I hope to make even better with our YouTube episodes.

I am not sure how long the TV shows are in actual minutes but watching 22 minutes from start to finish without interruptions plays out differently also in a good way. I am sure edit and develop the story in a different way.

I am not sure if you know or have heard of Bill Winke before. His show was Midwest Whitetail. His show was called semi live as in each week he aired a hunt from the previous week on his webpage. The next year his show would then be on the Sportsman channel. This year he has made the jump to strictly streaming video. Bill is probably on a different spectrum than you as he only hunts whitetails on his own farm in Iowa. I think the common theme other than the digital format is he is like you seems pretty down to earth normal guy.

All good Randy!
I was right there,hell been there done that.
Only they would have kept going down that draw,not turn back for curtain call,with a bow for the crowd. lol
Still amazed you held it together after that run...

I agree, I prefer the "grittier" feel of this episode. Makes you feel as if you were there. Loved every minute this, best episode yet.

Cornell2012 is in charge of compiling the analytics of this experiment, but as of right now our 20 hour result appears to be far beyond what we expected/projected/hoped for in the fist 24 hours. We are measuring the first day, the first week, and the first month. The investment we made in advertising to get the results is about 25% of what it costs us for distribution of an episode we produce for TV. We will be doubling down on that distribution investment in the coming month, to see what result we get from that investment.

The Hunt Talk platform is a huge benefit for launching digital experiments. Thanks to all of you for helping and participating. I cannot stress how much benefit comes from your help in sharing, commenting, and following these digital efforts. If we can make this work to the level we project, there will be big changes in how we, our sponsors, and our ad agencies look at this content distribution landscape.

Thanks for your help. I hope you will keep sharing and supporting.

Terrible camera work? Seriously?!? That was the most "real" elk hunt I've ever watched. I held my breath and actually said run out loud.

I sent the images and video to some local folks, hoping they would know. They think they know the guy who thought he was exempt from the blaze orange requirement, but a phoneskope image is not something where you can identify with 100% certainty. If it is the dude they think him to be, the guy without the blaze orange is a habitual problem child on a first name basis with FWP wardens.

The young guy tagged it. He looked nervous as hell. He kept watching us as we watched them. He was the guy who hiked up the hill, grabbed an ATV and drove it down to the elk. I am 99% sure that these guys are local talent.

The young guy to the right is punching his tag, while one guy starts the gutting and gilling, while Rambo keeps and eye on us.
View attachment 58912

When they got the ATV down there, they brought an extra blaze orange vest for Johnny Rambo.
View attachment 58913

Real Dandies! Aside from all the laws they broke, I never understood the community kill syndrome some people employ. Nothing to be proud of when 3 people all threw lead and are probably clueless as to even hit the damn thing, or where.

Great hunt Randy!!! Loved the chase...so true,getting elk in the cross hairs can be a sprint.Footage was real McCoy. I especially like the Youtube option,been missing out on your hunts for quite some time now.

Fantastic video, Randy! It's why your show is one of the best - it's real. It's what all of us experience (sans camera) when we go out there. FWIW, I thought it was fantastic camera work!

Oh, and nice shot! Don't know how far it was but a nice poke for being out of breath after a mad uphill dash!

Great video Randy! Always impressed with your shooting. Pretty much only bow hunt now but still amazed with your accuracy at longer distances.

Hope your health improves and you have a great season.

Great video Randy! Always impressed with your shooting. Pretty much only bow hunt now but still amazed with your accuracy at longer distances.

That is very nice of you to say that, but my house of cards will come tumbling down next week on TV. :eek:

That is very nice of you to say that, but my house of cards will come tumbling down next week on TV. :eek:

Anyone who hunts long enough knows there will be misses but your shooting is better than any average hunter. Just happy you actually show the misses too.

And as far as the quality of video, I loved the action you included on the Montana hunt. Feels more like public ground hunting. Love these shows, keep them coming.

What a great hunt. I really liked all the footage of the bulls milling around in the trees down in the canyon. Made me feel like I was watching it myself. I also liked the more aggressive approach to this hunt. I cant believe you put this good of an episode on YouTube and not tv? But I guess that's the way things are going. Anyway, congrats on an absolute trophy bull and thank you for posting it online to see for free!

I really liked the episode. Anyone who hunts public land knows that you end up dealing with other hunters spoiling your plans sooner or later and you just have to stay persistent and figure out a way to make it happen. Glad you guys were able to make it happen, especially on a great bull like the one you took home. Well done. Personally I liked the camera work, thought it was great and added to the realism.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back