Yeti GOBOX Collection

Boy Scout fishing #2 (photos)

A-con

Just got back from our yearly Troop fishing trip to the high country.
Lots of other Scout activities, and family vacations, so only 9 scouts and 5 adults this year.
Besides a five mile hike with map/compass, every boy got a two hour + boat/trolling trip.
The average was 4 fish per kid, (nobody got skunked) including one young man who had never caught a fish before, and three others whose only fishing experience was the same trip last year.
I showed up early and reserved some camp sites

Two of the boys were eager to go early, I said "be ready at 5 am", and suprise, they were.
The dawn patrol

Good on you A-com! Memories and skills to help make well rounded citizens. Thanks

This young man has done just about everything a Scout can do except catch a fish.
He can scratch that off his list !

No monsters, lots of 12 to 15 inch fish, a few 16/17 inch.

So I do lots of trout fishing in small streams in northeast Iowa. What type of set-up is that?? Looks like lots of "shiny" things above the hook. Is that something for fishing deep lakes?? Thanks. Great to see you helping out the youth.

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks for posting those pics. Brings back lots of memories. If that is the lake I think it is I haven't seen it that full in years. The trout look healthy and full finned.

Just returned from a conference in Albuquerque.

As we checked into the Marriott, there were about 30 scouts lifting their backpacks and getting on the bus. They were headed to Philmont for a week of camping.

So I do lots of trout fishing in small streams in northeast Iowa. What type of set-up is that?? Looks like lots of "shiny" things above the hook. Is that something for fishing deep lakes?? Thanks. Great to see you helping out the youth.

good luck to all
the dog

Yes. Several large shiny blades, 18 to 26 inchs of leeder, and a spinner or hook/nightcrawler. Pulled slowly behind a boat at 1 to 2 MPH. Stirctly for trolling lakes.
Yes they are heavy and absorb some of the fight, but they work great for catching lots of trout.
Looks like a school of fish in a feeding frenzy. When a trout follows it to see whats happening, there is a bait right in front of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back