PEAX Equipment

Alaska on a budget?

elkmasterwyo

Posted the same thing over on rokslide so prob some of the same crowd here, but thought I'd see what the rest of you think:)
I'm trying to plan a trip as a gift, to my dad and father in law, and my son will be 11 years old at the time (legal to hunt alaska) I've looked into the caribou drop stuff a little. Just looking to get all of my options, if anyone has done something similar or has any idea's, I'd like to hear them! Thanks in advance!

I have not hunted Alaska, but I did do a 3 week trip with my wife for our Ten year Anniversary. It was a budget trip sort of. We drove all over kenia peninsula and up to Denali staying 3 to 4 days in a place then moving to the next. I did several fishing trip, 4 of the Glacier/whale watching trips, whitewater rafting, loads of hiking. All for $10K (flights, housing, lodging, Car rental, and entertainment). Go on tripadvisor to there forum. There is a ton of info from the locals, who I found to be VERY helpful.

I'm tentatively planning a Sitka Blacktail hunt in SE AK for 2017. I doubt AK can get any more affordable than that. Hoping to cut my teeth this way, figuring out logistics, etc., then trying a moose or caribou hunt down the road.

I doubt AK can get any more affordable than that. QUOTE]

I've hunted AK 3 times since 2014 and have plans for 2 more trips in 2016/17. Each hunt has cost me just a little over 1k. I've also hunted NZ 4 times since 2011 and three of those 2 week trips cost around $1,500. One trip cost around 3k but I took my wife and it was for 3 1/2 weeks. I routinely do 10 day hunts in Hawaii for under 2k with my wife in tow.
It can be done, but the way I do it you wouldn't to "gift" to loved ones. I know some will scoff at my figures, but no skin off my back if you don't believe me.

I doubt AK can get any more affordable than that. QUOTE]

I've hunted AK 3 times since 2014 and have plans for 2 more trips in 2016/17. Each hunt has cost me just a little over 1k. I've also hunted NZ 4 times since 2011 and three of those 2 week trips cost around $1,500. One trip cost around 3k but I took my wife and it was for 3 1/2 weeks. I routinely do 10 day hunts in Hawaii for under 2k with my wife in tow.
It can be done, but the way I do it you wouldn't to "gift" to loved ones. I know some will scoff at my figures, but no skin off my back if you don't believe me.

I am seriously curious how you managed to hunt AK in the $1000-$1500 range. And what you were hunting.

Free airfare for 25k miles roundtrip. Hunted Adak twice, once for caribou and once for waterfowl. Hunted St. Paul Island for King Eider. I will be hunting waterfowl again this year and POW spring black bear in 2017. Most likely will be going to NZ shortly after coming home from POW.

Free airfare for 25k miles roundtrip. Hunted Adak twice, once for caribou and once for waterfowl. Hunted St. Paul Island for King Eider. I will be hunting waterfowl again this year and POW spring black bear in 2017. Most likely will be going to NZ shortly after coming home from POW.

How was the caribou hunt on Adak?

Wow sounds like quite a memory! I'm also thinking of doing the public use cabinsome on kodiak for blacktail/fishing type of thing. Anyone here ever done this

My rough figures for a blacktail hunt are around $2600 total for one person, which include commercial flight, overweight baggage fees, ferry, 10 day 4x4 rental, license, 2 deer tags, fish boxes, ice and other incidentals.

If you could get a partner or 2, price would go down (split rental truck cost, combine baggage, etc.). Also, you may live close to an airport with cheaper flights, etc.

My rough figures for a blacktail hunt are around $2600 total for one person, which include commercial flight, overweight baggage fees, ferry, 10 day 4x4 rental, license, 2 deer tags, fish boxes, ice and other incidentals.

If you could get a partner or 2, price would go down (split rental truck cost, combine baggage, etc.). Also, you may live close to an airport with cheaper flights, etc.

I live 120 miles east of San Diego and it's a major hub for AK airlines. I usually can get at least 1 person to come on board with me but it's difficult at times because of their work schedules.

"Budget" to me is probably similar to Glass Eye... Camp in the truck/tent wherever I end up for the night. b

We did a SE blacktail hunt last fall, cost about $500pp. Miles/rental truck/ferry ride.

Black bear hunts off the road system are another cheap option. Lots of places to hunt them, cost is airfare, rental vehicle, and a tag or 2.

Caribou hunts off the haul road, or 40 mile off the highway or a float. A few options there. Lots of hiking and a lot more work than 99% of hunters are willing to do for "just" a caribou.

Contrary to popular belief you can find moose off the highway as well... you might not like how far you have to pack it, but put on your big boy panties and get after it.

I could think of a 1000 places to hunt birds, in some really scenic places, you'd have it all to yourself too. Wolves, etc, etc. The list is really endless on "budget" type hunts. I usually run out of hunting season before I run out of things to chase.

Good luck with your planning.

SE AK spring bear and kings/halibut trip, staying in FS cabin on the water. $1,100-1,500/person depending on how many go, includes boat/gear rental and shipping meat back.

You guys are seriously making me rethink what I could do a budget trip to AK on. I got flights round trip from FL to AK for $550 in June of 2014. I seriously had the impression it would cost me close to $5k to do an AK trip for anything and I am certain that would be the case if it was a guided type after talking to several guides while we were there. I am thinking my 2020 AK trip I wanted to do is definitely not out of the question.

A really nice trip your Dad,FIL and son will love is Prince of Wales for blacktail.Adventure Alaska has some real nice cabins you can rent and they come with a truck and boat.The fishing is crazy good.For deer, go in early August up in the alpine or wait till Nov for an easier rut hunt when the deer are down low.Getting to alpine is no joke soonly go early if your dad and fil can handle it.GET YOURSELF AND ALASKA AIRLINES CREDIT CARD.You will get enough miles for a round trip ticket free if they accept you.Plus, they give $100 companion fare each year.So 2 of you fly round trip for $100 plus extra bags from anywhere
I did moose last year for $3800 including everything except getting meat back.Caribou with 40 mile air cost me 5k 3 years ago.Every trip was worth every penny and I'm planning to go back to POW either this August or next year.Blacktail in the alpine is really fun and incredible scenary,moose hunting is a little boring,caribou hunting is in some awesome terrain/scenary with a lot of targets.Of those hunts, for a budget, blacktail is the way to go and enjoy some of the worlds best fishing as well

X2 what mixed bag said about the AK air visa card. Make sure you apply for the Signature Card.
Tufrthnails....AK air has flights from Orlando. I just took my wife there on the companion fare and we duck hunted.

This sounds like a great idea. When you guys did black tails, did you do guided hunts or just rent a cabin and head out on your own? I have only hunted white tails on the east coast so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about hunting new territories. AK is definitely a place I would like to go multiple times, and the black tail hunt sounds like a great way to cut my teeth.

Great advice from the folks who have chimed in thus far. The quality of your gear (outerwear, sleeping bag, tent, etc.) will also have an impact (positive if you have good gear) on the cost of your hunt and how comfortable you'll be during your adventure. If there is a U-Haul rental in the town you arrive at, it is usually cheaper to rent a truck from them versus a compact car from one of the rental agencies at the airport.

My wife and I will be on POW this August for our first Alaskan hunt. It is going to be a very affordable hunt. We will be camping in the alpine most nights which will save a lot. I am just now looking for options to spend a day or two fishing if we find early success.

I also echo the advice about the Alaska Airlines Visa. Currently they are offering 30,000 point sign on compared to the usual 25k. Having the card also allows a free checked bag for you and up to five others traveling with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back